Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I've got a 04 Pilot AWD EX-L with 249K on it. I've did a valve adjustment on it 3 months ago and while doing so noticed that some of the coil packs have cracks in the boots. I replaced the 2 packs with some Denso coils from an Odyssey that I found while at a junkyard. Original broken coils were thrown away. It's been about 20 miles since I replaced them and have just had issues today. While at a drive-thru, the Pilot started misfiring and shaking bad and sounded like it was not running on all cylinders. When I got home, there was white smoke coming from the catalytic converter (smelled like oil) [may be unrelated]. Air temp was 98 degrees with AC on, rad temp normal.
I switched out the position of the 4 and 5 coils and went for a test drive. Had no issues in the 15 minutes I drove it around the city and drove it hard on some back roads. I took a drive about two hours later, got about 1/2 mile down the road and while sitting at a stop light, it started misfiring and shaking again; turned around and took another car. Air temp around 90, AC on, rad temp normal. Diagnosis with scanner showed code P1399 [random misfire] and code 71-9 (same thing as P1399).
More info:
-Never had problems like this ever before
-Oil level is within range
-spark plugs were within range according to Hanes manual
-had no issues for more than 500 miles on valve adjustment
-Pilot drives normal after clearing codes until extended period of being in drive with foot on brake eg. stoplight
-when driving, check engine light flashes before staying on
-Check engine light has turned off for a little bit until stopping at next stop light.
-smoke noticed on cat heat shield 2nd time when coming back from 1/2 mile trip.
-Pilot leaks oil from rear main seal and oil pan gasket, but never to the oil of smoking on heat shield.
-egr tracks were cleaned when valve adjustment was done.

I'm thinking about dropping $200 for some NGK coils and hoping that the issue does away, but wanted to see if there is anyone else with similar issues or if anyone has any ideas about what could be done to further troubleshoot. Nearest Honda dealership is 100 miles from me and I have doubts that it will make it there.
Looking forward to hearing from you all

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, so there's a few things going on here...

Based on known problems with your Pilot, my suspicion would be your rear seal is gone to the point it's creating a vacuum leak. Block it up, climb under it, have somebody rev the engine to 2500 rpm and see if you can find spraying oil.

Second - white smoke suggests your car is burning coolant, not oil - and your symptoms are consistent with a blown head gasket. If the gasket went bad between 2 cylinders, then that could generate the random misfire. I'd stop by OReilly or AutoZone and grab their compression tester to check your cylinder pressure - if you have two adjacent cylinders well below the others, then the head gasket is your source.

Other thoughts - that could cause random misfire but don't account for oil leaks and/or white smoke.

1) Random misfire points me to suspect valves out of adjustment. You just did the adjustment, so it's definitely possible a few of the valves you worked on loosened and are now way out of adjustment, and you'll notice this problem at idle more than under load.

2) Bad EGR valve

3) The timing belt was replaced between 200-220k?

4) Check the valve cover bolts - perhaps a few of the bolts worked loose and you've got a small oil and/or vacuum leak.

5) Just curious why you changed coilpacks for cracked boots? They sell replacement boots and seals for coilpacks, actually pretty cheap (about $5 a set) - you may want to replace all of the rubber - this is not likely, but you may be getting some intermittent arcing in your coils.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I've looked under the engine when it was on ramps and running and no sign of rapidly leaking or spraying oil.
I have not gotten a hold of a compression tester but it is on my to do list for this week. While I was laying under the truck I noticed that there was quite a bit of oil on the subframe and underneath the oil pan which could be possible that when the truck is moving, it finds it's way onto the heat shield as there was some oil on it and the exhaust pipes already; but could also be a headgasket like you were saying.

1) Will take everything apart and inspect valves if new coil doesn't solve issue.
2) ERG valve will be taken off the truck and cleaned/inspected with help of service manual. Might be replaced as well for peace of mind.
3) Timing belt was replaced around 225K by previous owner.
4) Will be checking this today and making sure it is tight.
5) I called around to all the auto parts stores and Honda dealer to get a pack of boots but was told that the coil packs have non-replaceable boots and to replace the coil if the boots get worn. Rather than getting ripped off for the coil pack, I went to a junkyard and took two coils out of a Honda Odyssey (one is Denso, other has no markings) since they looked the same initially to the Pilot ones. The coil looks slightly different than the original when compared which I am hoping is the issue as the issue started shortly after I changed these coils. I have ordered replacement Denso coils and will see that that fixes the issue. I also found that RockAuto sells the coil pack boots, so now I know that they are replaceable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Issue is now fixed; No more p1399 code or and smoke coming off of the cat. The Denso coil from Rockauto fixed the issue.

When I had removed the coil from the Odyssey it was not a Denso as I originally thought, but a Hitachi CM11-201A which works for the Odyssey, Acura TL and RL, and Accord. When the right coil was put into the car, it worked as it should..

Lesson learned is only take parts off of the car they will be going on instead of cars with the same motors.

She's driving on to fight another day thankfully!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts