Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered an issue with the Climate Control where the air is either hot or cold regardless of temperature setting. If I put the Temp on LO - i get cold air. Any other temperature is hot. Looking to try and fix this myself rather than getting screwed by the dealer. Is it just the Thermostat?

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone encountered an issue with the Climate Control where the air is either hot or cold regardless of temperature setting. If I put the Temp on LO - i get cold air. Any other temperature is hot. Looking to try and fix this myself rather than getting screwed by the dealer. Is it just the Thermostat?

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris
I have a similar issue when I operate the climate control manually (Auto turned off).

With the AC on, the only time I get cold air is when I set the climate control temperature to low, any other temperature I set the controls to i get hot air.
When I need heat in the winter and I turn the AC off, the only time I get heat is when I set the climate control temperature to hi, any other temperature I set the controls to i get cold air. Did you figure out the issue?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I remember reading more than once about a little metal bar in or around the blend door actuator (air mix motor?) that needs to be put into the correct position but it's tricky to get it right. Hopefully someone with a better memory than mine or with direct experience can chime in.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,251 Posts
Do you hear any strange noises when the temperature setting is somewhere in between hot and cold?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
There was some round shaped PCB where the traces deteriorated on some models. People would hear a grinding noise at the air mix motor/doors. It doesn’t sound like this is the issue.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Have you had a good look at suggestion number two, then? It's in the engine bay on the passenger side firewall. Worth a look, at this point.

• heater control valve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you had a good look at suggestion number two, then? It's in the engine bay on the passenger side firewall. Worth a look, at this point.
Yes I bought a new one and installed it, the valve is definitely working and the heater core is definitely getting hot coolant ( Measured temperature of inlet and outlet pipes/hoses for heater core both ranging between ( 140-160). Anything else come to mind?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
What is the behavior of the rear vents compared to the front vents? Does the issue only occur on one, but not the other. The front and rear systems are partially independent of each other. From what I remember both have separate heater and cooing cores, and the rear core always circulates hot coolant regardless of the position of that coolant flow valve near the firewall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is the behavior of the rear vents compared to the front vents? Does the issue only occur on one, but not the other. The front and rear systems are partially independent of each other. From what I remember both have separate heater and cooing cores, and the rear core always circulates hot coolant regardless of the position of that coolant flow valve near the firewall.
Front and rear same issue. I cannot adjust the temperature with the climate control unit so it's either max cold or max hot.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Have you checked if there are any diagnostic codes being reported? You’ll likely need a Honda specific code reader for this one.

Also I recall on the 2005 Pilot that there is a cabin temperature sensor behind a “vent” near the driver’s right knee. Mine is an LX so it doesn’t have auto climate control. You might check if your model has this and if the sensor is working correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you checked if there are any diagnostic codes being reported? You’ll likely need a Honda specific code reader for this one.

Also I recall on the 2005 Pilot that there is a cabin temperature sensor behind a “vent” near the driver’s right knee. Mine is an LX so it doesn’t have auto climate control. You might check if your model has this and if the sensor is working correctly.
[/QUOT
I performed the self diagnostic test on several occasions no dtc's stored in the system. In car sensor was also tested and it is working as how it is suppose to.

All suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I suggest you make a list of everything you have tried and the outcome of each test and post it here. Perhaps that will help us pinpoint something you haven't tried yet.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Numbers I got
I suggest you make a list of everything you have tried and the outcome of each test and post it here. Perhaps that will help us pinpoint something you haven't tried yet.
Numbers I got from the climate control display for the sensors

Test temp - 65. 80. 87
In car sensor. - 109 104. 108
Ambient sensor- 88. 88 88
Vent temp air out - 82. 55. 84

·
Registered
18 Posts
All i did:

1.changed blend door actuators
2. moved blend doors by hand to make sure they move smoothly
2.changed heater core
3. Check for air leak in interior ducts
4. changed radiator cap
5.changed thermostat
6. changed water pump
7. changed blower fan, cabin filter & blower fan resistor
8. Got a used climate control unit and swapped in out to test if mine was bad
9. Did self diagnostic test no dtc's

After all of this I am still unable to control the temperature of the heat from the climate control unit. I only get either max heat or max cool. Actuators should move gradually as I adjust the temperature on the climate control unit?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Numbers I got

Numbers I got from the climate control display for the sensors

Test temp - 65. 80. 87
In car sensor. - 109 104. 108
Ambient sensor- 88. 88 88
Vent temp air out - 82. 55. 84
Not having the EX model I can only comment that the in car sensor readings appear to be outliers. Is that the sensor near the driver’s knee? What was done to confirm it’s working properly? The vent temp air out middle vent out reading doesn’t seem right either. Typo?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not having the EX model I can only comment that the in car sensor readings appear to be outliers. Is that the sensor near the driver’s knee? What was done to confirm it’s working properly? The vent temp air out middle vent out reading doesn’t seem right either. Typo?
Just for clarity I always operate the climate control manually, I dont use auto mode. i had swapped out the in car sensor with another known good one to see if it made a difference in readings and it didnt. I agree the vent temp seems off. Is there a seperate sensor for that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts