Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time user, first time for a post. I searched but haven't been able to find a post with the same issue.

I had to have my Pilot (180k) towed home because it would crank but not start.

I originally thought it was the fuel pump because I couldn't hear it prime when I put the key in the ON position, but once I got it home I could hear it clearly. Then I checked for spark. I grounded the front left spark plug but wasn't getting any spark. I checked voltage on the coil pack and was getting a good ground and positive when the key was turned to the on position. (I checked 3 additional coil packs, all with ground and positive.) At this point I could smell fuel in the cylinder, confirming that the fuel pump was pumping when cranking.

I read that someone had issues with their PGM-F1 relay that was causing a similar issue, but when I found and tested that, it was working properly.

At this point I double checked the timing belt. It is sitting at about 100k since the last change and is due for another. Timing belt looked good.

I recently pulled all of the pins from the ignition because the key was sticking, so I double checked that the green key dash warning light wasn't coming on. It wasn't, so the immobilizer seems fine.

My latest attempt has been to check the crankshaft position sensor. It read 2.2k ohm, which I believe is standard... maybe? But my concern now is that I am supposed to get a small amount of voltage from the ECU to the crankshaft position sensor. Is this correct? I read that somewhere, but am not getting any voltage on either pin when the key is in the ON position.

If anyone has any experience with this, or has dealt with a similar issue, any feedback would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
One thing you didn’t mention having checked are the fuses. Are all of the pertinent ones intact?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Also I thought the green key icon on the dash lights up for a short time while cranking. The Pilot is not my daily driver so perhaps someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What codes is it throwing?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Also I thought the green key icon on the dash lights up for a short time while cranking. The Pilot is not my daily driver so perhaps someone else can chime in.
Are you using a modified or replacement key? (I changed my OEMs for flip keys.) Is your key damaged or perhaps when you changed the fob battery you damaged or lost the immobilizer chip? Something to rule out, in any case.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/aw-nuts-cranks-but-doesnt-turn-over.118505/#post-1222514

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/07-wont-start.163357/#post-1613983

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We only received one factory key and fob when we purchased the car. It is undamaged. The key has no battery because the fob is separate.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
We only received one factory key and fob when we purchased the car. It is undamaged. The key has no battery because the fob is separate.
Is that normal for a 2004? On a 2006, which is the only model year whose keys I'm familiar with, the key and fob are one unit, with the immobilizer chip inside.

I assume your setup worked before. However, it seems odd, to me anyway, and it makes me continue to wonder if it's an immobilizer issue. You might have to bite the bullet and have a good dealership have a look at it, if you can find one.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Here is what the owners manual states for the behavior of the immobilized dash icon.
6FAF27DB-CC0F-40CF-A2BA-45244B09F9DC.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to test this out tonight. When I put in the factory key the green key light blinks and then goes out. When i put in a different key the green key light continues to blink. I feel confident that my key is being recognized and that the immobilizer is not my issue. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Does anyone know if the ECU is supposed to send a reference voltage to the crankshaft position sensor when the key is on?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You might find that info in the FSM which you can download from the sticky thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to post an update on our solution, sorry I didn’t sooner.
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the PGM-F1 relay, but nothing changed. I was out of ideas so I took it to a local mechanic that could dig into it deeper. He tested all of the same things I did, of course, and then moved on to testing the ECU. He unplugged it to check something, and when he plugged the ECU back in it started.
We aren’t sure if it was a loose connection, or if the ECU is bad and this is our first warning sign. Electronics are finicky, I would never have thought that unplugging it would do more than disconnecting the battery would, but worth checking for anyone experiencing this issue.
It has been running fine for the last 2.5 months now.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Glad to hear you got the issue resolved and kudos for reporting back. If one of the electrical contacts had oxidation on it, perhaps removing then reinstalling the connector scraped that oxidation/corrosion away and allowed for a good electrical connection.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Glad to hear you got the issue resolved and kudos for reporting back. If one of the electrical contacts had oxidation on it, perhaps removing then reinstalling the connector scraped that oxidation/corrosion away and allowed for a good electrical connection.
And therefore, if you haven't already, you might want to go back and clean those contacts thoroughly before it happens again. I use a little metal brush and/or old Radio Shack contact cleaner spray. LOL, I need to start thinking about what I'll do when that last spray can is empty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts