Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to rekey my 2004 pilot because of the notorious issue where the key won't turn when inserted into the cylinder. On my driver's side door (which clearly the previous owner had definitely played around with bc the water shield and a couple of the screws were not in place) I just cannot seem to figure out how to remove the cylinder retainer clip. I've removed all the other screws and bolts to access and remove the door handle, but I can't even see the clip nor feel it with my hook tool. I have been poking around for at least an hour and half trying to grab on something with no luck. I even considered the possibility that the retainer had been removed in the past and that the retainer clip was potentially just never reinserted but had that been the case, I would've expected the cylinder to just pop right out. Are there any tricks to popping this clip off the cylinder or is there anything else I might be missing? is there an angle at which I can see the clip at if it is properly placed? I appreciate anyone's help on this.

I've seen images of the manual and the video from A1 Auto on removing the handle but neither really go into detail about any tricks to getting the clip out or knowing its there.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I'm trying to rekey my 2004 pilot because of the notorious issue where the key won't turn when inserted into the cylinder. On my driver's side door (which clearly the previous owner had definitely played around with bc the water shield and a couple of the screws were not in place) I just cannot seem to figure out how to remove the cylinder retainer clip. I've removed all the other screws and bolts to access and remove the door handle, but I can't even see the clip nor feel it with my hook tool. I have been poking around for at least an hour and half trying to grab on something with no luck. I even considered the possibility that the retainer had been removed in the past and that the retainer clip was potentially just never reinserted but had that been the case, I would've expected the cylinder to just pop right out. Are there any tricks to popping this clip off the cylinder or is there anything else I might be missing? is there an angle at which I can see the clip at if it is properly placed? I appreciate anyone's help on this.

I've seen images of the manual and the video from A1 Auto on removing the handle but neither really go into detail about any tricks to getting the clip out or knowing its there.
This might be some help ... (if the Civic is same or similar)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
^^^ Love how even for the mild-mannered A1Auto guy, after he says, "if the stars all align," they edited out where he presumably swears like a sailor who banged his thumb with a hammer. Here's the exclusive footage rescued from the cutting room floor:
Gas Electric blue Font Event Symmetry
(sorry, no sound)

Oh, and you apparently need an angled awl.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
^^^ Love how even for the mild-mannered A1Auto guy, after he says, "if the stars all align," they edited out where he presumably swears like a sailor who banged his thumb with a hammer. Here's the exclusive footage rescued from the cutting room floor:
View attachment 144960 (sorry, no sound)

Oh, and you apparently need an angled awl. View attachment 144961
Well, taking out a cylinder lock isn't exactly something you should wish were as easy as a good Fonzi fist bump at the right spot on the door exterior. It's bad enough you can see the clip from the window opening. Although a Fonzi fist bump on the glass will break it and get you in anyway. Some people don't lock their doors for that reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts