Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot with 130,000 miles..

When cold it has a rough idle and will stall.
I recently had the idle control valve and coolant temperature sensor replaced (at separate times). Both fixes seemed to fix the problem temporarily (< 1 week), and no codes are being thrown
Any suggestions/ideas? A mechanic suggested basically a valve job, would that make sense?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Assuming fluid levels are correct I would check these items, in this order:

Air filter
Plugs
Coils (check resistance)
EGR

I say EGR, because even though you don't have codes you may have an EGR valve that is sticking, just enough to affect flow but not bad enough to trigger a CIL. You can quickly check that problem by disconnecting the EGR valve and seeing if the problem goes away.

The 1st gen Pilots are known to get carbonized EGR ports and/or need valve adjustments, both later determined to be design flaws that can cause rough idle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was off one tooth on the rear cam during my first timing belt change. Started fine until it was below 40F, then it was very hard to start.

Took a while for me to figure this out since I did the belt over the summer. Easy to check, align the crank pulley, pop the display ports on the covers and check alignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts