Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I changed my battery on my 2004 Pilot now its not even cranking, I turn the key and get nothing. I'm thinking it could be a starter relay but cannot find where it might be. Any thoughts a or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm currently flummoxed and this is currently my only car.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
On a Pilot this age, the grounding cable(s) could be corroded into. There is one between the engine and frame and one between the transmission and frame.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,458 Posts
Did you reverse the polarity of the battery connections? Or possibly are positive and negative on the new battery opposite the old battery?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I changed my battery on my 2004 Pilot now its not even cranking, I turn the key and get nothing
Can the Pilot start with a jump? Is the replacement battery new? All connections are clean and tightened? Has the Pilot been having start problems or did it occur recently?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been a bit busy with my exhaust system to replace my broken ground wire. But this is what a decayed ground wire would look like. Can’t explain why mine starts like a champ. View attachment 136535
Yep that's it, thanks for all the help. I followed the grounds and found it corroded and frayed

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
231 Posts
Mine are corroded too, but not broken yet, but I'd like to replace them. I know Autozone has some generic braided ones, but is there a good source for ones similar to the OE honda wires?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
231 Posts
I've seen diagram that for my year too, but the cable I'm looking for isn't shown in that diagram. I guess it looks similar to the one labeled "10", but not quite. But searching the Honda sites only shows that diagram when I search for "ground".

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine are corroded too, but not broken yet, but I'd like to replace them. I know Autozone has some generic braided ones, but is there a good source for ones similar to the OE honda wires?
Seen both flat braid or insulated strand wires decay so periodic inspection makes sense. Wire breakdown may be from different causes so I'm not convinced one type is better than the other.
thumbnail (1).jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,458 Posts
I've seen diagram that for my year too, but the cable I'm looking for isn't shown in that diagram. I guess it looks similar to the one labeled "10", but not quite. But searching the Honda sites only shows that diagram when I search for "ground".
If you’re talking about the one that screws into the block below the starter it’s #7 on the diagram. I just looked at my Pilot and it branches from battery negative. One branch goes to chassis next to the battery. The other branch goes the block below the starter.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
231 Posts
No, I'm looking for this one. It connects to the front of the engine just below the oil fill hole, the other end connects to the frame near the hood release latch. I think it probably is the one labeled 10 in the diagram. While checking this out on my Pilot this morning, I discovered the front engine mount is broken, so I'll be replacing that next weekend when I've got it all torn out for the valve adjustment.
View attachment 136558

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,458 Posts
Yeah, I think you’re looking at #10 on the diagram then. If it’s the wrong one you’re only out $7.50. If it happens to be the correct wire harness, it sure was nice of Honda to put it in that location on their diagram.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts