Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share the my mpg history with maintenance history, there was a period of time I stopped recording data, then started back up. Also, the maintenance history is not 100%. Its not clear to me what is driving the recent drop in mpg, but driving has changed under covid, I have engine wear / consuming oil, suspect the cat is not helping the situation. The solid line is a rolling average, ignore the spike in the middle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I thought I would share the my mpg history with maintenance history, there was a period of time I stopped recording data, then started back up. Also, the maintenance history is not 100%. Its not clear to me what is driving the recent drop in mpg, but driving has changed under covid, I have engine wear / consuming oil, suspect the cat is not helping the situation. The solid line is a rolling average, ignore the spike in the middle.
Looks like changing driving style had more effect on mileage than anything else on this chart.
It's also interesting all that maintenance doesn't really seem to positively affect mileage that much. I would have though adjusting the valves would have had a significant positive impact yet it seems to begin the slight decrease in average mileage. Maybe they just weren't out of spec to begin with?

What is interesting and admirable of your maintenance efforts, is you are getting only an average of one mile per gallon less at 200k as you were getting when the car was in the 30k's before you changed driving style. Thanks for posting, I found it very interesting ... a lot of work!

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A Spec; 2020 Acura TLX A Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
19 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have a 2006 EXL with AWD and 120k miles. Interesting to see my mileage is very similar. I have completed most of the maintenance you have listed as well. I just had to make two round trips from Phoenix to Tucson (about 450 miles in total) and averaged 19 MPG driving a healthy 85 MPH most of the trip. I am pretty sure driving the speed limit I could have exceeded 20 MPG, but who wants to drive the speed limit.

Your post made in investigate the Fuel Economy.Gov website. I am actually right on the money for the revised EPA numbers of 15/20/17 for most of my travels. The original government numbers (17/20/19) seem optimistic which is probably why they revised.

I don't worry about fuel economy on the Pilot, it's a second vehicle, it's pristine (almost) and it's the perfect dog park vehicle. Long live the older Pilots!

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A Spec; 2020 Acura TLX A Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL AWD
19 Posts
I mistyped the original EPA numbers, it should be 17/22/19.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Nice tracking data you've accumulated. My '04 Pilot data is primarily maintenance items. Local around town mpg hovers between 15-17 (congestion) and loaded for long trips nets 19-21 @70+mph. These mpg numbers have been relatively consistent over the past 16 years.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Just because I'm curious I've been tracking my mileage for a couple of months. I keep the climate control in AUTO the whole time so the A/C cycles on and off. I get around 20mpg average. 22 if I drive slow on the interstate and sometimes as low as 14 if I am doing lots of stop and go.
I wouldn't have bought an SUV if I cared about the mileage but I think it's good to have some idea. I kind of wish the fuel tank was a little bigger.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like changing driving style had more effect on mileage than anything else on this chart.
It's also interesting all that maintenance doesn't really seem to positively affect mileage that much. I would have though adjusting the valves would have had a significant positive impact yet it seems to begin the slight decrease in average mileage. Maybe they just weren't out of spec to begin with?

What is interesting and admirable of your maintenance efforts, is you are getting only an average of one mile per gallon less at 200k as you were getting when the car was in the 30k's before you changed driving style. Thanks for posting, I found it very interesting ... a lot of work!
for some reason the original tires had a low lower resistance - I remember posts about this years ago......others saw a drop as well

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
for some reason the original tires had a low lower resistance - I remember posts about this years ago......others saw a drop as well
Tire pressure makes a difference. Lower pressure is a softer ride but higher rolling resistance and lower mileage ...and vise versa.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,257 Posts
35 is my Goldilocks PSI as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did a mostly highway only trip, stayed at 70 MPH top speed in flat Ohio/Indiana, 35 psi just before leaving. Averaged just over 20 MPH on trip. (I am usually about 78 MPH)

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
did a mostly highway only trip, stayed at 70 MPH top speed in flat Ohio/Indiana, 35 psi just before leaving. Averaged just over 20 MPH on trip. (I am usually about 78 MPH)
I'm doing well to get 17mpg on my 3rd gen. 75mph mostly. Still doing some eatting in the vehicle while idling. That doesn't help.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 2006 with 130K since new mirrors exactly the experiences and data in this thread. 13-17 mpg around town, 19-22 mpg on the interstate at about 70mph. Solid vehicle. Bought a new Mazda CX-5 to get a little smaller/sportier and more technically advanced SUV,, but just can't bring myself to sell the Pilot. But three vehicles (CX-5, Pilot, and GTI) in a household with two drivers and no kids doesn't make economic sense. May end up selling the GTI and surrendering completely to the "I like to sit up high" SUV tidal wave.

- Mark

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,257 Posts
Or a GTI with a booster seat. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts