Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot that makes a rattling/ticking noise that corresponds when the RPMs reach above 3k, while accelerating. As soon as I let off the gas it goes away.

The sound is most noticeable when passing a vehicle while climbing uphill. Almost anytime I press the gas to quickly accelerate the sound occurs. It’s been happening since I purchased the vehicle 2 years ago and doesn’t seem to affect the performance, it just makes me nervous and sounds like it could be damaging the motor or transmission. I have no mechanic experience and am at a loss. When I press the accelerator lightly it doesn’t make this noise, even when I am traveling 80+ MPH on the freeway. The sounds is almost like something is ticking quickly within the engine or drivetrain. Any ideas or suggestions as to what could be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated. I had the differential fluid changed a couple of days back and it didn’t make a difference.

·
Administrator
15,578 Posts
From your description, I would investigate the exhaust manifold connections for a possible gasket leak. It not a common problem with any brand of car, but does happen.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding! I’ll have my mechanic investigate the exhaust manifold, as you suggested. I’ve also heard about an issue that can happen with a rattling throttle cable bracket. Does this sound like a possibility?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
post in the 2003-2008 forum, there you'd get more attention

·
Registered
271 Posts
Could be transmission switches #3 & #4 or dirty transmission fluid. Here's a link recently from this forum--https://www.piloteers.org/threads/torque-converter-shudder-fate-of-2004-pilot.35690/

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot that makes a rattling/ticking noise that corresponds when the RPMs reach above 3k, while accelerating. As soon as I let off the gas it goes away.

The sound is most noticeable when passing a vehicle while climbing uphill. Almost anytime I press the gas to quickly accelerate the sound occurs. It’s been happening since I purchased the vehicle 2 years ago and doesn’t seem to affect the performance, it just makes me nervous and sounds like it could be damaging the motor or transmission. I have no mechanic experience and am at a loss. When I press the accelerator lightly it doesn’t make this noise, even when I am traveling 80+ MPH on the freeway. The sounds is almost like something is ticking quickly within the engine or drivetrain. Any ideas or suggestions as to what could be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated. I had the differential fluid changed a couple of days back and it didn’t make a difference.
It sounds like engine knock; preignition due to carbon deposits and low octane fuel. Try a tank of 91 octane premium. If the sound goes away, it's knock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts