Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2004 Honda Pilot EX-L rear brake lights not working

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  road2cycle 
#1 ·
Hi yesterday I bought my first Honda Pilot ever and I love it so far execpt for that the drivers side upper brake light, the passenger side lower brake light and the 3rd brake lights are not working. They light up when the headlights are on but won't illuminate the second filment for the brake lights and it's driving me crazy trying to do research and figure it out. I've already tried replacing the bulbs and will be looking into anything more I can find out about this but any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Is there any brake light that works? If so, it's usually the bulbs, so make sure you are switching out with known good ones. Don't just rely on a visual check. If that doesn't help, look for any trailer wiring abnormalities, especially anything aftermarket.

#3 ·
Yes the drivers side lower works and the passenger side upper works. I bought 2 packs of brand new 7443 bulbs and even tried switching them out with the working ones and it changes nothing.. the sockets that work still work with the brake light bulbs from the none working ones. Where is the trailer wiring located at?

#4 ·
If installed, it's usually located in the rear storage well where you stow your 3rd row headrests when not in use, as in this video:

Of course this would also be a good time to check you fuses and relays, again not just visually but with a multi meter or at least by swapping them out for known good fuses of equal amperage or relays of equal value. This document should help:

Attachments

#6 ·
Try checking for any crimped or frayed wires. If none are found, you may even try to unplug that extension from its connector under the threshold in front of the storage area to see if that makes any difference. See the video above for where that is exactly.

Then I'd say it's time to start checking fuses and relays. Refer to the document I posted above for help with that. Keep us posted.

#7 ·
Check the bulb sockets for corrosion, tight contacts, loose wiring, etc. If you have a multimeter perform a voltage check while someone presses the brake pedal.

Also do you know if the tailgate was ever replaced/repaired on the Pilot due to being rear ended?

And welcome to the forum.

#8 ·
Wow! I feel like a idiot thinking something was actually wrong because I was up for about 27 hours straight in between work and looking specifically for a Honda Pilot, not thinking or knowing how the brake lights and turn signals operate normally I just figured it out! Somebody switched the drivers side turn signal into the brake light and I am excited and happy! that theres no electrical problems or so I thought.. I just swapped the brake light bulb into the lower one where its supposed to be and the turn signal in the upper one. Thank you for everyone's help.

#10 ·
Somebody switched the drivers side turn signal into the brake light and I am excited and happy! that theres no electrical problems or so I thought.. I just swapped the brake light bulb into the lower one where its supposed to be and the turn signal in the upper one
Great to hear the fix was simple and not complex otherwise it would be tough passing the local DMV inspection. Now you're well stocked in spare bulbs. Check out this video on the blinker fluid

#9 ·
Glad you got it figured out. Now, at least for that, you can sleep easy. :)

#11 ·
AHAHAHA! I've watched that before. I'm very happy with my Pilot. I looked at 3 others before finding my baby and this was it. Clean interior-exterior, 105k mile service was done less then a year ago while the others had no idea when it was last done, not only did the other 3 want more money for them they had more miles and PROBLEMS. Only problems I'm having with this one is minor vibrations in the rear about 65-70 mph and the alignment is a little off, I'm taking it into my shop for alignment, balance, rotation and inspection tomorrow morning in hopes I don't discover that extensive repairs are needed because its completely smooth under those speeds.

#12 ·
Good plan. Also change the VTM-4 rear differential fluid unless you know for a fact it's been done recently. Honda OEM VTM-4 fluid only.

Check the shocks back there; relatively inexpensive KYBs from Rockauto have done me fine.

While it's up on a lift is a good time to make sure you don't have an overly rusted rear subframe mount.

#13 ·
Glad to hear you got the brake light issue resolved. Good luck with the inspection tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.