Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning/ Blessings Everyone

So my 2004 Honda Pilot will switch in multiple gears but when I switch it into D drive it starts flashing and won't drive (as if it was in neutral). It goes into all the other gears with no problem but the D drives flashes. I was told I would be able to drive it as a manual car but I wouldn't even try that

Also the VTM-4 light goes on and off sometimes but was on when it happened... And when my brother in law check my transmission fluid.. He said it was completely Dry?

Not sure if I need a new transmission at this point or what can be done to save me some funds? PLEASE HELP ‼

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
I’d say step one is put fluid in it... Valvoline Maxlife is a pretty popular option.. Red jug at Walmart about $18.. don’t just dump the whole jug, just because the dipstick isn’t registering doesn’t mean it’s completely empty.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
I’d say step one is put fluid in it... Valvoline Maxlife is a pretty popular option.. Red jug at Walmart about $18.. don’t just dump the whole jug, just because the dipstick isn’t registering doesn’t mean it’s completely empty.
Good suggestion especially as the valvoline is not only compatible but also pretty cheap. This will sound like a crazy idea but what color is your antifreeze?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think I need a whole transmission?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good suggestion especially as the valvoline is not only compatible but also pretty cheap. This will sound like a crazy idea but what color is your antifreeze?
I didn't get a chance to check it... Its on the shop but I feel like the mechanic is bullshitting me and can't give me an answer on what exactly it is but is saying I need a transmission

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
You can drive it as a manual, w/o a clutch pedal obviously to get to places you need to go. Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?
You could try someone doing a drain and see how much is in the casing, then add a gallon on Max Life.- I acutally added the entire gallon on my d&f's and it's not overfilled.
Get back to us with these details and good luck.
You may not need a new tranny- yet anyways.
Plenty of people on here that can help.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I didn't get a chance to check it... Its on the shop but I feel like the mechanic is bullshitting me and can't give me an answer on what exactly it is but is saying I need a transmission
Before driving (manually) away from the shop inquire what type of ATF was used by the shop and confirm the dip stick level is not dry. The transmission symptoms you stated don't necessarily point to transmission replacement without more detail and diagnostic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can drive it as a manual, w/o a clutch pedal obviously to get to places you need to go. Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?
You could try someone doing a drain and see how much is in the casing, then add a gallon on Max Life.- I acutally added the entire gallon on my d&f's and it's not overfilled.
Get back to us with these details and good luck.
You may not need a new tranny- yet anyways.
Plenty of people on here that can help.
So I bought this car about a month ago from a person so I don't know however I did notice there was some fluid under my car one time but I didn't think twice about it and was going to take it to the shop anyways. Alot of people on other forums are saying it is either the switch or transmission fluid but my ridiculous uncle had it in his shop for a month and is saying I need a transmission. I will definitely let all of you know with the update

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Uh, Oh, a ridiculous Uncle in the mix too? Good luck.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah
Before driving (manually) away from the shop inquire what type of ATF was used by the shop and confirm the dip stick level is not dry. The transmission symptoms you stated don't necessarily point to transmission replacement without more detail and diagnostic.
Yeah i wil call my uncle and see if he changed the oil or what not. this is the most frustrating thing ever. Ive learned more on diagnosing the problem from YOU GUYS than him having the car for a whole month

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh, Oh, a ridiculous Uncle in the mix too? Good luck.
LOL i know hes old school so you know how that goes . I will take my damn car out in a heartbeat if he isnt resolving the problem. Its been TOO LONG with no resolution

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
LOL i know hes old school so you know how that goes . I will take my damn car out in a heartbeat if he isnt resolving the problem. Its been TOO LONG with no resolution
There’s a lot of low-cost tips and suggestions in this forum one could do before condemning the transmission via Internet diagnosis. IMO the transmission manually shifted to function can be a good sign or better prognosis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There’s a lot of low-cost tips and suggestions in this forum one could do before condemning the transmission via Internet diagnosis. IMO the transmission manually shifted to function can be a good sign or better prognosis
That definitely makes me feel better atleast there is hope . I really appreciate it

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but after you get the ATF level back to where it needs to be, go to Advance Auto, borrow a code reader, and see what codes its showing.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but after you get the ATF level back to where it needs to be, go to Advance Auto, borrow a code reader, and see what codes its showing.

--Chris N.
I think they did mention putting fluid in and i think someone did mention checking the code. But I will def try this

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but after you get the ATF level back to where it needs to be, go to Advance Auto, borrow a code reader, and see what codes its showing
Advance Auto is great for reading engine/emission related codes but they cannot read specific transmission codes

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
The reason for the color of the coolant is that the radiator is an area where the ATF and coolant are both present and can meet if the radiator fails. If discolored then I would recommend a new radiator, plus drain and refill the transmission until all evidence of the coolant is gone. If the coolant is the correct color, then drain and refill the transmission. It might come back to life after one of those cycles. It certainly did for a buddy of mine who ignored his transmission, went to tow with it and lost drive until a drain and refill took place.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Maybe we could find out what city (She's?) in and meet and do some quick diagnostic stuff and help (her?) out.
If it's a (he?), just the same.

A month? No ones looking at or working on it.

Reactions: Mscharita

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe we could find out what city (She's?) in and meet and do some quick diagnostic stuff and help (her?) out.
If it's a (he?), just the same.

A month? No ones looking at or working on it.
Im a she lol .. im in NJ . Im cnsidering just taking the car to another mechanic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason for the color of the coolant is that the radiator is an area where the ATF and coolant are both present and can meet if the radiator fails. If discolored then I would recommend a new radiator, plus drain and refill the transmission until all evidence of the coolant is gone. If the coolant is the correct color, then drain and refill the transmission. It might come back to life after one of those cycles. It certainly did for a buddy of mine who ignored his transmission, went to tow with it and lost drive until a drain and refill took place.
Ill def look into that thank you so much. Im going to switch to a new mechanic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts