Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be greatly appreciated...ok let's start at the begining...We changed spark plugs, and all 6 coil packs, the tensioner pulley and power steering pump gaskets, now for the problem, I'm getting the error codes 301 302 303 304 305 306, and 1399, now I know what the codes mean, but what I can't figure out is what I need to do to make the engine run smooth again, it's running rough because of the mis fires, at first we thought we just got bad gas because it started suddenly 2 days after changing the plugs and coil packs...We have put Heet in the fuel tank, then we put sea foam in, when that tank of gas was gone we used premium unleaded with a can of sea foam and it's still misfiring...according to AutoZone, they say we have to have the valves adjusted to OEM specs...please help...thank you in advance...

·
Registered
69 Posts
if not egr ports move to valve adjustment. Also make sure your air intake tube isn’t cracked somewhere. Usually cracks right off the end of the throttle body. If you bought your plugs off of amazon you should replace with ngk plugs from autozone or advance auto to ensure you didn’t get a counterfeit set. Happened to me.

Also be sure your valve cover gasket isn’t leaking into your spark plug holes. Pulling a plug and seeing if its wet on the outside would tell you this. The coil may also look oily on the outside. Any oil getting into the cylinder area would cause a misfire. Just because you get 6 misfire codes doesn’t mean all 6 are necessarily misfiring.

if you replaced with non oem coils then you should put the oem coils back and diagnose from there. Pilots don’t like aftermarket coils or spark plugs.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What is your milage?
Is the Air Filter Clean?
Sometimes a rough idle is caused by a dirty or faulty mass airflow sensor. This can cause the fuel/air mixture to be to rich or lean. Remove it, then with a spray can of CRC Electronic Cleaner, give it 2 or 3 burst directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly and reinstall.
Just to note, higher octane fuel doesn't help these engines. Use any major brand 87 octane fuel that contains additives (Exxon, Shell, Vallero etc).

·
Registered
248 Posts
prior to changing plugs and coils was the engine running rough, or did the rough idle start after the maintenance was performed?

If the rough idle started after the coils and plugs were replaced - then I would go back and check that the coils are seated, electrical connectors are good, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes these problems started after the maintenance was performed, my Girlfriend bought all her parts from Rock Auto ...after the maintenance, the engine ran smooth for 2 days, then it ran rough, I was told it was bad gas and so Heet and seafoam was used, still bad, going to swap old coil packs back out and see if that helps...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Also make sure your plugs are torqued to spec. It's a known problem that they can back out.

Take them all out and inspect them for fouling, then retorque to spec.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aftermarket coil packs can cause problems - but it's highly unlikely you had all 6 coil packs and/or plugs go bad at once. As for the plugs, NGKs are original equipment and should be fine - but other brands (such as Autolite) publish different accepted gaps, so pull a plug and check the gap - it may be too high.

However, my thinking is you said it ran fine for 2 days, which suggests something loosened up. With all of those error codes, it's not likely that every single plug or coil packs got loose - to me, it points to an electrical connection. Check all the wire connections (etc), maybe you have a loose connection that was only partially closed and when she was driving it on day 3 she hit a bump and simply opened a circuit

With that said - if it's a 2004 and hasn't had valves adjusted, you should bite the bullet and plan to adjust valves. Exhaust valves on the 3.5 tighten as they seat, and specs call for check and/or adjustment every 100k or as needed. With valves out of adjustment, you will have a rough idle to the point it can/will stall - I know from firsthand experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With that said - if it's a 2004 and hasn't had valves adjusted, you should bite the bullet and plan to adjust valves. Exhaust valves on the 3.5 tighten as they seat, and specs call for check and/or adjustment every 100k or as needed. With valves out of adjustment, you will have a rough idle to the point it can/will stall - I know from firsthand experience.
How much should it cost to have the valves adjusted on my 04 at a local mechanic and not a Honda dealer?

·
Registered
39 Posts
How much should it cost to have the valves adjusted on my 04 at a local mechanic and not a Honda dealer?

·
Registered
248 Posts
at the end of this post is a quick and cheap check

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any help would be greatly appreciated...ok let's start at the begining...We changed spark plugs, and all 6 coil packs, the tensioner pulley and power steering pump gaskets, now for the problem, I'm getting the error codes 301 302 303 304 305 306, and 1399, now I know what the codes mean, but what I can't figure out is what I need to do to make the engine run smooth again, it's running rough because of the mis fires, at first we thought we just got bad gas because it started suddenly 2 days after changing the plugs and coil packs...We have put Heet in the fuel tank, then we put sea foam in, when that tank of gas was gone we used premium unleaded with a can of sea foam and it's still misfiring...according to AutoZone, they say we have to have the valves adjusted to OEM specs...please help...thank you in advance...
Is it using any coolant? Is it running rough all the time? Warmed up any better etc..?
It is rather strange that it all began with replacement of parts. My 07 had misfire trouble took me 6weeks to stop looking for an electrical problem and realized coolant was leaking down into the cylinder.
If you clear codes is the a particular cylinder that misfires first?

·
Registered
25 Posts
A couple of things to try before you get your valves adjusted. 1) Remove the temperature sensor on your intake manifold (right after the throttle body) and clean it with B-12 chemtool or equivalent if it is dirty. It may be clean due to your use of Seafoam. 2) remove the air tube and spray the butterfly valve especially around the shaft edges. If these don't work, then I would bet you need your valves adjusted. My 2006 ran well up to about 180,000. The dealer was going to charge me $400 for adjusting my valves. I did it myself. It took about 4 tries to get it perfect, but the engine runs smooth. I now have 318,000 + on it. Change your timing belt around every 100-120K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts