Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help...my girlfriend owns a 2004 honda pilot, low miles like 125000 or so, it's running real rough, we have changed plugs, coil packs, EGR Valve and it's still running rough, we need help in fixing it because it's our only vehicle at this point...

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Help...my girlfriend owns a 2004 honda pilot, low miles like 125000 or so, it's running real rough, we have changed plugs, coil packs, EGR Valve and it's still running rough, we need help in fixing it because it's our only vehicle at this point...
Is the check engine light on and are there any codes?
Have you checked or adjusted the valve clearance?
How long since the timing belt and tensioner were last changed?
Are the fuel injectors working properly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes check engine light is on, including the VTM-4 light, it throws 7 codes, P0300- P0306. Means misfiring on a cylinder and random mis firing...just changed the belt tensioner last year, never had the valves adjusted or the injectors checked...

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Make sure the intake hose has no cracks. Must be airtight.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Have you cleaned the EGR passages?
Replace PCV valve.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
339 Posts
You said you changed the belt tensioner last year. Do you mean you replaced the timing belt, tensioner and water pump? Or just the tensioner

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You said you changed the belt tensioner last year. Do you mean you replaced the timing belt, tensioner and water pump? Or just the tensioner
Actually we changed the main belt tensioner...haven't done anything with the timing...

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
339 Posts
Actually we changed the main belt tensioner...haven't done anything with the timing...
I’d say there is a really good chance the timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley needs replaced, along with the water pump. Your timing belt is probably so stretched and is causing your misfires (which is also why it’s happening on all cylinders). Change it before it snaps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d say there is a really good chance the timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley needs replaced, along with the water pump. Your timing belt is probably so stretched and is causing your misfires (which is also why it’s happening on all cylinders). Change it before it snaps!
Thank you, that's good for thought..

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Out of interest, when you replaced the plugs, what did you put in?
Plus, did you replace the EGR because it was coding? In my experience, the EGR coded shortly before the cats needed replacement

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Wrong spark plugs can trigger misfire codes.
So the timing belt has never been changed? It would be imperative to do so or risk catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Make sure the intake hose has no cracks. Must be airtight.
View attachment 147016 View attachment 147017
Why do people keep insisting on this broken snorkel throwing codes? Oh yeah, the shotgun approach.

On my 08, mine still looks like the bottom picture only worse, it's completely detached and ambient air gets in too- lots of it.
Guess what? No codes. I found it by accident installing the SVCM.

Just keep throwing more parts and money at it like you already have- something will stick.

Sorry for my sarcasm. Changing plugs is one thing. changing them all and coil packs, and other things is the shot gun approach. Eventually, you'll find it. maybe it actually needed new plugs? Kinda doubt it.
I'm sarcastic this morning before I gotta go to work on a Saturday. Sorry

I hope you find it

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Why do people keep insisting on this broken snorkel throwing codes? Oh yeah, the shotgun approach.

On my 08, mine still looks like the bottom picture only worse, it's completely detached and ambient air gets in too- lots of it.

Just keep throwing more parts and money at it like you already have- something will stick.

Sorry for my sarcasm. Changing plugs is one thing. changing them all and coil packs, and other things is the shot gun approach. Eventually, you'll find it. maybe it actually needed new plugs? Kinda doubt it.

I hope you find it
If your intake tube is leaking, not only is your engine sucking in un-metered air affecting your air/fuel mixture, but it's also sucking in dirty unfiltered air.

(I'm not recommending a certain brand here. This is better than old broken)
It's not just about shotgunning parts. It's about good maintenance. There is nothing that drives me more crazy than treating a symptom rather than fixing what's broken.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I hope you find it
Thank you, we're checking into it, it's beyond my expertise so it's mechanic time...lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I hope you find it
Thank you, no sarcasm felt...lol...it's all good...we've done all of the most common things up to the timing belt...it's now time to take it to a mechanic...

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
we've done all of the most common things up to the timing belt...it's now time to take it to a mechanic...
Certainly wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable attempting a timing belt water pump job. There are some great DIY YouTube videos that could walk you through if you'd like to take try. It can save quite a bit of cash.
👨‍🔧👩‍🔧😁

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Thank you, no sarcasm felt...lol...it's all good...we've done all of the most common things up to the timing belt...it's now time to take it to a mechanic...
I understand you posted your Pilot was not running quite right.
Many months ago, I got a Cel light, yet my Pilot was running fine. I wnet to AutoZone and checked the codes, (I made a post on it), something about needing the valves adjusted, and every cylinder said it had a mis-fire, except for #2?
It ran fine. I disconnected the battery and re connected it. No CEL lights since!
I know that doesn't help you however and I do hope you find the problem soon.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If your intake tube is leaking, not only is your engine sucking in un-metered air affecting your air/fuel mixture, but it's also sucking in dirty unfiltered air.
View attachment 147020
(I'm not recommending a certain brand here. This is better than old broken)
It's not just about shotgunning parts. It's about good maintenance. There is nothing that drives me more crazy than treating a symptom rather than fixing what's broken.
OK, OK, I broke down and ordered one off RA. I used the Piloteers discount- a wooping 0.85 cents.

After I ordered this, delivery April 5th, I then looked on Amazon- we have prime- I could have gotten as good or better one, with free shipping for about the same price 25$.

Wellk, actually only 3 days quicker- same price. It's been months, probably years this thing has been crakced off at the Throttle body too LOL

But thanks NG, I'm finally gonna fix that cracked/leaking snorkel too! LOL

1 - 20 of 64 Posts