Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2004 Honda CR-V with 121,000 miles

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
Good night guys. Sorry that I'm posting this topic unrelated to a Pilot but my mom wants to buy this car tomorrow morning and just wanted some opinions. Check out the Facebook Ad: 2004 Honda CR-V

Let me know what you guys think. Miles seem to be low and cosmetically looks good. I see that it was probably used for towing at some point (tow equipment in the rear). Can also see like the suspension in the back seems to be lower than the front (not sure). What do you guys think? What should I keep an eye out for? Anything that can help me avoid getting my mom into a bust buy?

Sent from my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition using Tapatalk

#2 ·
#3 ·
If it was me I wouldn't buy a used vehicle from an individual without having a trusted mechanic examine it. My local mechanic charges $45 to do so. To me it would be money well spent. If the seller is reluctant to let you do so then I would walk away. Looking good can be deceiving.

Watch video28:41The Andy Griffith Show S03E27 Barneys First Car7.5K viewsJun 18, 2018DailymotionBridgetKim6567
My father in law will be going with us to buy and test drive. He's an experienced mechanic of 20+ years. I was just asking in general what other things perhaps people in the community have come across that I would need to look out for with this specific vehicle.

#4 ·
Based off the pics the CRV looks fine. Overall exterior + interior condition looks good and mileage is low for the age. It could be 2WD which might explain the relatively low price for a Honda in this condition. I had a tow hitch for the bike rack but never towed anything. Check it out thoroughly and look for evidence of abuse, lack of maintenance, accidents or odd noises, etc.

#5 ·
OK, you're going to thank me because I'm about to let you in on a secret that will absolutely blow your mind, and that some CR-V owners don't even know about. That CR-V is from one of the last years that they came with an actual...

...removable picnic table inside! It's true!
Autotrader - page unavailable

#7 ·
my mom wants to buy this car tomorrow morning and just wanted some opinions. Check out the Facebook Ad: 2004 Honda CR-V
Let me know what you guys think. What do you guys think? What should I keep an eye out for? Anything that can help me avoid getting my mom into a bust buy?
The original A/C compressor was a trouble spot for these vehicles.
Try to find out if it has ever been replaced.

Check the VIN to see if all of the recalls have been completed.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Does mom want A/T tires on her vehicle?

Find out what that red button or light is next to the cruise control switch.
Is it some aftermarket gizmo that's going to be a problem in the future?

#8 ·
Pretty new wheels and tires plus tow hitch. Any sign of using the hitch? Could the transmission have suffered?
Look for rust in rear wheel arch/bumper, all suspension sub frame mounting points. Check fluid condition. Hopefully Dad will bring a few tools to check things like rear diff (if equipped), spark plugs, filters etc. Lift up carpets wherever you can and look for accident repair, rust and body damage. Is is hot recently driven before you get there or cold? Hopefully titled in name of seller.

#9 ·
A total bust! Mechanically the car was destroyed. The guy advertised the car as having 121K miles but after finally running the VIN# history report it says that 12 days ago it was reported at 196K miles after maintenance was done. On top of that it says this specific vehicle is AWD but when I went underneath to check for leaks I couldn't find the part going to the rear wheels seems like it's missing (see pics)[emoji2375]. Needless to say that I left.

#10 ·
Sadly there will be some sucker that will buy the vehicle based on the external appearance. Just curious, did you as the seller about the milage difference? Did you check the milage on the odometer? It's sad that there are people out there who would sell anything this way. Glad you did you due diligence and didn't get taken.

#11 ·
Sadly there will be some sucker that will buy the vehicle based on the external appearance. Just curious, did you as the seller about the milage difference? Did you check the milage on the odometer? It's sad that there are people out there who would sell anything this way. Glad you did you due diligence and didn't get taken.
Man I didn't even bother after seeing under the car. It seems like he's out to screw people over with this one. So I just up and left you know? Waste of time!

#17 ·
Signing bonus: a case of this stuff:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.