Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old F150 calls for Mercon V. Valvoline makes Mercon V. It appears not to be full synthetic? Valvoline also says that it's ok to use full synthetic MaxLife ATF. What would you do?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
The old F150 calls for Mercon V. Valvoline makes Mercon V. It appears not to be full synthetic? Valvoline also says that it's ok to use full synthetic MaxLife ATF. What would you do?
View attachment 145120

OK Mr. VL ML- you're trying to be funny?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
It's a loyalty test. Don't disappoint.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
View attachment 145120
Depends ... what was in it before, how long was it in there, how did it look when it came out, and did you have any problems with it? If Valvoline makes a Mercon V atf while ML is Mercon V compat ... it might not be just because they have a bunch of left over blue containers lying around. Maybe Fords like varnish? Something has to hold them together. Or maybe the blend has the right viscosity. Are the seals old?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cheapest Mercon V fluid you can find.
Reason?
Wal-Mart has SuperTech for $4.82. The Valvoline Mercon V is lower priced at $4.42.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
How about something expensive like Amsoil's Multi Synthetic ?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about something expensive like Amsoil's Multi Synthetic ?
I'd just use MaxLife if I were going to use a Multivehicle fluid. Not so expensive. But ya, I'm sure you were just being facetious. Lol

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look who's asking! (use a mirror)
Hey, I'm not exactly just rolling in Ford experience here. I've owned several Fords over the years, but back then, I traded in vehicles if they farted one time. 😁

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends ... what was in it before, how long was it in there, how did it look when it came out, and did you have any problems with it? If Valvoline makes a Mercon V atf while ML is Mercon V compat ... it might not be just because they have a bunch of left over blue containers lying around. Maybe Fords like varnish? Something has to hold them together. Or maybe the blend has the right viscosity. Are the seals old?
150k miles. Most everything is old. No shifting issues. Leaning towards the MaxLife since it's full synthetic unless someone says I shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I dont want to feel like this is a risky decision. 😖
I don't think it's risky to use the ML. What are you concerned could happen? We know it cohabitates ok with blends. The additives can't be that different. If any old seals leak due to the lower viscosity, you can always toss some AT-205 in it.

Having said that, if there's any doubt in your mind and it's gone 150k with no problems, I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish changing horses now with an all synthetic. Was the old oil showing signs of overheating degradation? A lot of clutch wear material on the magnet? 150k on a Ford transmission is like free lunch. Whaddayawant? A perfect 400k mile transmission with no engine?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've read enough on the internet. Going with the Mercon V. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
What is the benefit of synthetic? Longer life? I’m not familiar with Fords so I don’t know what their history with transmissions is. I wouldn’t switch to synthetic for the sake of using synthetic if there was another option.

With your Honda vehicles your reason for using VML is to solve the problems you experienced with DW-1. Do you have any reason to believe Mercon V is not doing a good job protecting your transmission?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the benefit of synthetic? Longer life? I’m not familiar with Fords so I don’t know what their history with transmissions is. I wouldn’t switch to synthetic for the sake of using synthetic if there was another option.

With your Honda vehicles your reason for using VML is to solve the problems you experienced with DW-1. Do you have any reason to believe Mercon V is not doing a good job protecting your transmission?
Synthetic fluids in general are known to be better because of their heat resistance and staying clean longer. It comes down to whether or not the equipment will operate well using it.
This vehicle is only driven 10k miles a year. Just going with what's in it.
This particular transmission has no drain plug. I'm installing a pan with a plug so I can drain and fill conveniently and more often.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I've read enough on the internet. Going with the Mercon V. 🤦‍♂️
I think you'll be fine. I'm probably the last one around here that should question your "why?" I'm thinking of going with Amsoil Signature atf at twice the price of VML even though my 105k mile Pilot transmission is working fine with VML. My "excuse" is Amsoil has better temperature control and a very impressive record for proven long change intervals (ala 104k miles in the Nissan and still looking cherry). So if it goes three times as far for twice the money ... I'm saving money and labor.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts