Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has dim headlights on their pilot? At first I thought the lights just needed replaced but after doing so there was not much difference. Any ideas?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Also, check chassis ground connection for corrosion or looseness.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,370 Posts
I'm wondering if there is a connection between this problem and the water you have been experiencing on the passenger side. If that water is dripping down on any relays or electrical bits that affect the headlight circuit, juice could be "drained away"

·
Registered
668 Posts
Water will cause corrosion on everything that is bare metal which may prevent a good electrical connection which may be causing your dim headlights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The battery itself is only just a little over a year old. The lens are a little cloudy but I don't believe that it would cause them to be as dim as they are. I never thought about the water leaking in causing the problem but I looked in the manual and the fuse box with the fuses for the lights is in the engine and not on the passenger side where the water is leaking in. I checked the connections and for corrosion but everything seemed to be alright. I may just end up taking it to the dealership...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Headlights dim due to condensation and dulling of lens

I had water condensation on the lens inside the composite lens cover plus the lenses were badly dulled. I inspected both lens assemblies and could not find a hole or crack but each had about a cup of blue water. Must have been from the car wash so there's probably a leak in the gaskets or hairline cracks that I missed. The rubber bulb seal looked to be good on both units. Since the vehicle is 2003 with 120K miles I replaced both headlight lenses. Dealer part lists for $256! Autolightbulbs.com had exact replacements $94 for both - including bulbs! Had to remove bumper but it was way easy. The only tools needed are a flat head screw driver to pop the push pins apart and an 8 and 10 mm socket for the few bolts. Just save all the push pins. If you break any they also are available online at $10 for a box of 15 or from the dealer are $2.30 each. Make sure they say "for 9mm hole" in the description. It took about 1 1/2 hr to remove bumper, and install the new ones. Remove the latch cover above the radiator by removing all the push pins. Then a bunch more pins on top and bottom of the bumper. Then the 3 bolts on bottom at each end of the bumper. Then jerk it straight forward to release the friction clips under the headlights. The bumper assembly is light but make sure there's someone holding each end so it doesn't drop and get scratched. On the 2003 the grill comes off with the bumper as one assembly. Next remove the mounting bar under the headlight - two 8mm bolts inside and one on the outside end. Last remove 3 electrical connectors on the bulbs, the pushpin and 2 bolts on the headlight cover itself and slide it out forward while you make sure it doesn't catch on either end. Reverse and you're done. Make sure the pushpin tab is on the upper outside of the new lens assembly is on TOP of the fender when you reinstall or you'll have to disassemble again. Check headlight alignment.

The new headlight lens looks great and I saved a bundle doing this myself with aftermarket parts that are absolutely identical to OEM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has dim headlights on their pilot? At first I thought the lights just needed replaced but after doing so there was not much difference. Any ideas?
I'm having the exact same issue and I end up driving around with my bright lights on most of the time. Did you ever find a solution? (2004 Honda Pilot)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue and I end up driving around with my bright lights on most of the time. Did you ever find a solution? (2004 Honda Pilot)
Oh, so you're that guy.
I had to flash you back tonight with my 10,000-lumen Fahren LEDs.
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Seriously, if you've checked your battery's voltage, made sure the alternator is good, made sure you're using the correctly rated bulbs...

Font Number Screenshot Parallel

...checked your relay and fuse connections, then check your wiring for corrosion, fraying and looseness, starting with your low beam wiring from the bulb working your way back to the source, and then even your cables and grounds.

These are some extreme examples, perhaps, but they give you the idea.

Hand Leg Automotive tire Glove Gas

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Art Wrist

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

If that's your case, you can replace them for a much lower price with these from Walmart...

Product Liquid Gadget Audio equipment Street light

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts