Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would never pay $100 for a simple steel bracket. Find a welder/fabricator to make you a new piece and you're probably looking at about $50. In essence that bracket is a modified L-channel that needs some bolt holes, the steel will cost $10 or less plus a fabricator's time to customize it. Check at your local welding supply house or machine shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So I'm still working on solving this problem. I wish I lived near some of you because everyone we know that does welding REFUSES to help me because they don't want to be held liable if anything happens! I've never met so many paranoid people but whatever. So I'm just going to buy a used bracket on eBay. I found one with all the motors for around $225. Yeah, it's ridiculously expensive but you're paying for the electronics, not the bracket itself. The one I found looks really good. Most of the ones I find are rusty or bent looking. This one looks sound. My only problem with it is that it's for a 2006-08 Pilot. However, it looks identical to the one on my pilot so it may fit my year as well. I'm just not sure. Here's a link to it: 2006 HONDA PILOT FRONT DRIVER LEFT POWER SEAT TRACK ONLY TAN TRIM CODE E | eBay

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I also found this one for a little less money that claims to be for any 2003-08 Pilot. To me, it looks identical to the last one I shared only this has the wiring harnesses. I just don't know how many miles were on the Pilot this came out of. The other one only had 151k.

·
Registered
335 Posts
IMO pickup a complete used drivers seat from the local pick+pull. If you're handy perhaps you can reinforce the bracket or run it as is. The other option is to buy the new bracket or try one off Ebay. It's understandable why some welders wouldn't want to be held liable for the repair as liability is a big deal in our litigious world.

·
Banned
173 Posts
So I'm still working on solving this problem. I wish I lived near some of you because everyone we know that does welding REFUSES to help me because they don't want to be held liable if anything happens! I've never met so many paranoid people but whatever. So I'm just going to buy a used bracket on eBay. I found one with all the motors for around $225. Yeah, it's ridiculously expensive but you're paying for the electronics, not the bracket itself. The one I found looks really good. Most of the ones I find are rusty or bent looking. This one looks sound. My only problem with it is that it's for a 2006-08 Pilot. However, it looks identical to the one on my pilot so it may fit my year as well. I'm just not sure. Here's a link to it: 2006 HONDA PILOT FRONT DRIVER LEFT POWER SEAT TRACK ONLY TAN TRIM CODE E | eBay
I also found this one for a little less money that claims to be for any 2003-08 Pilot. To me, it looks identical to the last one I shared only this has the wiring harnesses. I just don't know how many miles were on the Pilot this came out of. The other one only had 151k.
[/URL]
So.....You may want to check the local junk yards first and price a used seat.....I found complete seats for as low as $100.00.....Remember.....You need the bracket.....So a ripped or stained seat won't matter to you.....

Just ask for the price of the seat.....don't tell them that you just need the bracket.....Tell them that you need a working power driver's seat.....any color and any condition.....

As for the welding shops.....If you take your seat apart.....(Just like in the ebay ads).....take the bracket to them to get welded.....They will probably do it.....If you take the complete seat to them.....Then thay will usually be concerned about liability.....With just the part to be welded.....They can write the receipt as "welded a customer bracket".....Without ever writing that it was a seat bracket.....So.....Much less chance of being sued.....

I will be making my new "Prototype" bracket next week.....I don't have the steel that I want to use.....But a friend gave me a peice of "Aluminum" that he says is stronger than the steel that I wanted to use.....So.....I will try to make the bracket.....And see if it holds up.....

Since it is free.....If it fails.....I can always go back to steel.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hello everyone. Finally got around to disassembling the seat and putting the new lower bracket on but now I'm stuck on taking apart the seat back. I saw in another post where you pry it out a little to see the hooks the pry them up and out. Anyone else done that? If so, any tips so I don't break anything? I am not concerned about the plastic clips as I can buy more of those but I don't want to break the hooks on the top of the seat back plastic. Should I try to pry out the bottom clips first so that if they break it's no biggie then slide the assembly up? It seems that at least that way would prevent me breaking the upper hooks. Anyone know about where they are located in reference to the back? I have a bunch of pry tools so if I can get in the area I might be able to pop them out without damaging anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay, so final update: I have it fixed! I got the seat back off and it was super easy to access the two bolts under the left bolster. The bracket I ordered must have been off a different year range than mine because the wiring harness was different. I just pulled off my old harness and swapped it with the one on the bracket I bought and voila! The brackets have the exact same connectors (except the newer model has one extra connection and the main connection to the car itself is a different plug than those on 2003 and 2004 Pilots. As long as you save your wiring harness, it appears that any Pilot seat between 2003 and 2008 (first gen) will work in any of the first gen models. That is good to know for next time if this bracket breaks again! I can simply swap harnesses and use a newer seat! Anyway, I'm glad I have this fixed. Still disappointed in Honda for such a poor design. But if anyone needs help swapping seats, I have it down pat now! Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Glad you managed to get this done. You didn't happen to take any pictures, did you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Glad you managed to get this done. You didn't happen to take any pictures, did you?
Unfortunately I didn't. My phone was charging, plus my hands were covered in grease (from the slider brackets on the seat) and blood (from when I sliced my finger open on a metal edge). I do still have the old, broken bracket that I planned on taking some photos of and trying to make a diagram of what I did off of that. For the most part, that was the bulk of where the work was done. I will more than likely try to do a write-up with some photos in the coming days. If nothing else, it will be a nice reference for me if I have to go through this again. I will say, it was fairly simple to swap over and it only took me about 3 hours from start to finish.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Great, I'm sure others in the future will benefit from your successful efforts. (y)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts