Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings everyone. I have sort of an odd issue with my 2004 Pilot's driver's seat. The other day I got in it and heard a pop sound then immediately felt the seat shift backwards as if something had just broke. I took the side cover off to examine it and noticed that the actual mounting bracket that holds the seat together between the slide rails and the seat bottom had completely cracked in half! Keep in mind I have driven this car for over a year and a half and never had an issue with the seat until the incident mentioned above. So now I'm faced with a question...should I attempt to have someone repair the broken bracket or would it be better to simply buy another seat? My biggest concern is if the seat itself would be safe if it were repaired? I'm also curious if anyone else has had a similar issue with their seat. I saw another post on here but their's broke in a different location than mine. I have attached pictures of the broken bracket to this post. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out this is more common than I thought. I found a few complaints on CarComplaints.com all dealing with this exact same bracket. More info can be found here: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Pilot/2004/accessories-interior/seat_support_bracket_failure.shtml
I also reported my car's bracket failure to them as well as the NHTSA because this could be a serious hazard if it breaks while you're accelerating! Unfortunately, Honda has not addressed this issue yet with a recall so this is definitely a fix it at your own cost problem. I found a replacement seat on eBay for around $350 shipped but I'm still wondering if anyone thinks my damaged seat is salvageable via welding?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Why not just get it welded ? It should not have snapped in the first place obviously but dropping $$ into something that will snap again unless its redesigned with the new part..

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I vote for welding it up as buying used means buying fatigued metal ready to snap

·
Registered
17 Posts
Own 2004 Honda Pilot. I am military and reaching for my wallet several times a day going onto military base. Putting pressure on the seat, seat bottom broke. It broke in 2008. I took the seat out, put some protective welding cloth around everything and used my neighbors welder. Seat held till I found replacement at the local pick-n-pull in 2017.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Weld it if a used seat is so expensive. Mine is also loose and sloppy so I'm going to take it apart. Something else about Pilot seats is the non-adjustable headrests. I got rear ended and had my head slammed into the headrest. Many neckaches have ensued.
I reported this to Nitsa and never got a response.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. I found that you can actually buy a replacement bracket (requires disassembling and reassembling the seat) for about $367 shipped. This would be a brand new, never-stressed bracket. The other option is, as many have stated, having it welded. Would welding it be as strong or stronger than a brand new one? Plus, I'm not a welder and I don't know any welders so I'm at the mercy of what one would charge me to do the repair if I go that route. The replacement bracket I am referring to is part number 81630-S3V-A30 and the best price for it I've found is at HondaCarPartsDirect.com here: https://www.hondacarpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/honda-adjuster-assembly-l-reclining-81630s3va30 and a pic of the part is below for future reference. It's part 13 in the illustration.

2003-04 Honda Pilot LH Seat Frame Assy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now...I also found that you can buy the entire frame assembly (with the power seat motors and wiring) which is part number 81660-S3V-A40 and runs over $1100 new. However, I found a used one for about $181 and am debating on trying that. I have no idea on how many miles the seat has on it but the listing has a photo that looks like the bracket may be bent. That concerns me if it is! Any opinions on it? The used part can be found here and the photo I am talking about is below.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Welds are usually stronger than the metal around them. As this is mild steel anyway, welding would not weaken it. It can add strength.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would think if you pulled the seat out yourself and took it to a local welder to weld it would cost whatever their minimum charge is. The price kinda depends on the local area. If you don't know a local welder call your local welding supply place and ask for a couple of names of people who would weld something small for you. I would try welding it before I replaced it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the replies everyone. I found out today that my oldest stepson has a friend that does welding so I think I'm going to have him try to fix the bracket for me and if that doesn't hold up I can always buy a new bracket or replacement at a later date.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If done correctly the weld will last Much longer than the actual metal will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts