Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!!!!!!

I first saw a picture of this car a couple of weeks ago on one of the automotive websites that I frequent and I couldn't wait until it showed up at the dealership.

This past Saturday (10/4/03) I headed up to the Acura dealership to give this thing a test drive. I must say, it's one of the most impressive vehicles I've ever had the privilege of driving.

My favorite car in the world to drive is the BMW 540i with the Sport Package. The 540i fits like a handmade glove, made just for my hand. The Bimmer is the epitome of what all sports sedans should be. I mention this, because looking at, sitting in and driving the new 2004 Acura TL brought back all of those great feelings I had driving the 540i. Acura's design team did awesome job with this car. It has many areas that look very BMWish - which is only a plus in my book.

The steering is spot-on! Nice and tight, but not hard to manipulate.

The dash layout is first rate! Everything is right where it needs to be for easy access. Buttons on the dash feel exactly like you think they would when you look at them. The plastics used for the interior are world class. They have a softness to them and it in no way looks "plasticky." The leather seats amazed me with their softness.

The suspension is right on the money. This car goes where you want it and it doesn't give you any guff about doing it.

The 3.2 liter V6 rated at 270hp is amazing in my opinion. It is whisper quiet and velvety smooth - but it means business. When the car is sitting at idle, you hear this awesome rumble from the exhaust behind you. Anyone who doesn't know any better would think there's a meaty V8 sitting under the hood.

Acceleration is smooth. If you don't keep an eye on the speedo, you'll be doing 100+ before you're even aware of it.

Acura has a huge hit on its hands with the new TL and when Mrs. PILOTinginCO gets back from visiting her mother - she's going to check this beauty out!!!!!

This is a car on par with the 540i, for about 25-thousand dollars less!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Besides the performance aspects of this vehicle, the dvd audio 6 channel surround sound system is fantastic, and the hands free link connecting a bluetooth phone wirelessly into the sound system is great. With the 6 speed manual you also get limited slip and Brembo brakes - a very impressive package. The only option on this vehicle - besides choosing the 5 speed auto or the 6 speed manual is a NAV system. (Note to all Pilot NAV owners - the NAV dvd is updated from the older NAV that people complain about on the Pilot - I guess an update should be available to all of you soon!)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not too shabby!

If they offered it in RWD, had more trunk space, and made an S version, I'd probably be regretting the purchase of my Pilot.

Main reason I didn't buy the previous generation was the problems with the transmissions...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Forgot To Mention

the sound sytem (thanks JK110). It's an amazing unit with sound that is so crystal clear.

The dealer had a demo cd in the car playing Jimmy Buffet and it sounded like I was sitting in the middle of the band...... incredible!!!!

Now to Samuel2003, Acura specifically built this car to replace the Type S from the last generation TL. The engine is rated at 10-more hp than the old Type S engine. You should give this thing a drive... you'll forget all about the Type S.

OH - ONE MORE THING: I'm told by a well placed source that Acura is working on a factory tuner version of the same 3.5 liter V6 we have in our PILOTS. It's probably going into the new generation NSX and will be rated somewhere around 350-hp. You heard it here first!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
"well placed source"??? Moley Moley Moley Moley! :p

Wonder how much it will cost to swap out this engine with that one...

·
Registered
608 Posts
i doubt a 3.5 liter engine is in the works. maybe a concept. honda has never been known to put a completely different dispacement engine in the performance version of a car with the same body style. just a slighly modified version of the existing engine.

RSX / RSX Type S = 2.0 Liter (K20)
integra/integra gsr/integra type r = 1.8 liter (B18)
old TL&CL / old TL&CL Type S = 3.2 liter (J32)
etc

the only exception is the civic Si but thats a hatchback based off the japanese civic type r, compared to our sedan and north america only coupe of the regular civics.

back to the 04 TL, a performace package called A-Spec is in the works. no power enhance ments, but it includes a reworked suspension with 1.6 (?) inch drop in ride height and 18" wheels with high performance tires. seems like acura is dropping the Type S badge.

new NSX might be 3.5 liter, but i doubt it will be based on the pilot / ody / mdx J35 engine. the NSX has DOHC VTEC now, why would it drop down to SOHC VTEC... :confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember What I Said At The Beginning Of The Month?

"OH - ONE MORE THING: I'm told by a well placed source that Acura is working on a factory tuner version of the same 3.5 liter V6 we have in our PILOTS. It's probably going into the new generation NSX and will be rated somewhere around 350-hp."

Now, this information comes from the Tokyo Int'l Auto Show...

Honda HSC
Behold the next NSX. Oh sure, this is a concept, and the shape will doubtless evolve considerably between now and the anticipated launch sometime in late 2006. Expect the structure to remain aluminum, with some body panels fashioned of aluminum and others of carbon fiber. This mid-engined V-6-powered GT car is powered by a V-6 making in excess of 300 hp. The general proportions of the HSC adhere to modern supercar conventions by stretching the wheelbase 5.1 inches to 104.7 and shortening the overall length by 6.9 inches. We hope Honda/Acura takes another swing at redesigning the NSX, this time paying a bit less obvious homage to Ferrari’s Enzo.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The new TL looks nice and sleek, but wowsa!!! the NSX concept looks absolutely stunning!! Thanks, PILOTinginCO!

·
Registered
158 Posts
iivtecracerii said:
new NSX might be 3.5 liter, but i doubt it will be based on the pilot / ody / mdx J35 engine. the NSX has DOHC VTEC now, why would it drop down to SOHC VTEC... :confused:
It would be relatively easy for Honda to design DOHC heads that would fit the 3.5 liter engine. In fact, back in 1990, before the original NSX was released, I remember reading car mag articles where the prototype NSXs at the time contained SOHC 3.0 L V6 engines producing about 20-30 hp less than what the actual production DOHC 3.0L engine would be making.

Another example of DOHC heads replacing SOHC heads - AMG's original "Hammer" sedan in which they took a 5.6 L SOHC V8 from an S class Mercedes, added DOHC heads and dropped the engine into an E-class body.

Glen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts