Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been studying all the different reviews and am torn between these 3 trucks.
Seems to be minor changes yr to yr to the eye but I know 2005 went to 255hp and maybe thats why CR show less gas mileage than the 2003 , but True Delta based on user data reports the opposite.
CR makes the comment 'standard side curtain airbags'....I dont think thats true but How do you tell?
I'm looking to tow a 2400 lb hybrid trailer with load leveling hitch...2005 had mods to gear ratios....would these improve or hamper towing?
Being a Canadian shopper I never seen so many USA cars!! Its actually hard to find CDN & there are advantages both ways to USA vehicle, key being no rust at all but risk of non claimed flood vehicle. To my point, I noticed the motor cover is different on the cdn truck on the 2005!! Why would honda do this? are there any other differences?

I have always been a GM man but other than full size trucks The last good vehicle they built was 1993 transport...mine went 340K before I got rid of it.....Montana is crap and crash test is rediculous....so here I am, getting my first Honda in 15 years....cant wait.!

Thanks!
Paul

· Registered
4,228 Posts
Paul.V said:
I have been studying all the different reviews and am torn between these 3 trucks.
Seems to be minor changes yr to yr to the eye but I know 2005 went to 255hp and maybe thats why CR show less gas mileage than the 2003 , but True Delta based on user data reports the opposite.
CR makes the comment 'standard side curtain airbags'....I dont think thats true but How do you tell?
I'm looking to tow a 2400 lb hybrid trailer with load leveling hitch...2005 had mods to gear ratios....would these improve or hamper towing?
Being a Canadian shopper I never seen so many USA cars!! Its actually hard to find CDN & there are advantages both ways to USA vehicle, key being no rust at all but risk of non claimed flood vehicle. To my point, I noticed the motor cover is different on the cdn truck on the 2005!! Why would honda do this? are there any other differences?

I have always been a GM man but other than full size trucks The last good vehicle they built was 1993 transport...mine went 340K before I got rid of it.....Montana is crap and crash test is rediculous....so here I am, getting my first Honda in 15 years....cant wait.!

Thanks!
Paul
Only changes I recall in 2004 were the 2nd row seats became adjustable, there was a more manly sounding horn, and heated seats and mirros were added I think. I don't know about the 2005 changes, but you're correct, the side curtain airbags were not added until after 2005. The earlier models have side airbags but not side curtains. Can't comment on towing issues.

· Registered
2,549 Posts
2004 had heated seats and moonroof standard for the EX-L models?

· Registered
1,494 Posts
The 2005 got the integrated keyfob and TPMS. If you got the EX-L, you also got VSA.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

· Registered
236 Posts
sblvro said:
2004 had heated seats and moonroof standard for the EX-L models?
The sunroof was not available until 2005. I'm not sure about the heated seats. Another benefit of getting an '05 is the addition of Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), which is a very important safety feature.

As for the "increased horsepower" in 2005, there is some debate about this. If I recall correctly, the methods that Honda used for measuring horsepower changed in 2005, so the '05 Pilots do not actually make any more power than Pilots from other years. I don't remember the exact situation, so I might be wrong. You can read more about it here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/17/foreign-automakers-overestimate-horsepower/

· Registered
984 Posts
'03 and '04 were pretty close in terms of features and drivetrain - mostly little things.

'05 made a significant change to the drivetrain on the EX-L models - added VSA, retuned the tranny, and added a sunroof. I think drive-by-wire was added as well. The reason for the lowered gas mileage was because of the modified shift points with the upgraded tranny/motor tuning package. This carried over to the '06 redesign.

We had an '04 EX-L and an '06 LX (both 4WD), and the driving difference and MPG difference were noticible - easier to get higher MPG's on the '04 than the '06, but the response on the '06 was much "peppier" than the '04.

So, if you can find an '04 with decent features and low miles, you'd have a very solid car that would tend towards higher MPG's. But you'd lack VSA and sunroof on the EX-L models since the '05 added those...

andy

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for your feedback....I got a great deal on a 2004 and will pick it up in the next couple days...
I got a CDN truck....too many US trucks had suspicious carpet smells & stains arround the seat brackets & concealed places....maybe not submerged but floor flodded so not declaired? anyway...I'm happy.
Thanks,
Paul

· Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Paul.V said:
thanks everyone for your feedback....I got a great deal on a 2004 and will pick it up in the next couple days...
I got a CDN truck....too many US trucks had suspicious carpet smells & stains arround the seat brackets & concealed places....maybe not submerged but floor flodded so not declaired? anyway...I'm happy.
Thanks,
Paul
Congrats on your "new" Pilot!!!!! Please post some pictures when you get it.

:)

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Shindig78 said:
As for the "increased horsepower" in 2005, there is some debate about this. If I recall correctly, the methods that Honda used for measuring horsepower changed in 2005, so the '05 Pilots do not actually make any more power than Pilots from other years. I don't remember the exact situation, so I might be wrong. You can read more about it here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/17/foreign-automakers-overestimate-horsepower/
I think you're referring to the new SAE procedure for measuring HP (J1349), which didn't go into affect until the 2006 models.

The 2005 Pilot had an increase of 15 HP (to 255). In 2006, even though the engine was unchanged, the HP rating went down to 244 due to the new procedure.

BTW, I found this site listing some new features for the 2005 Pilot...

http://trucks.about.com/od/2005sportutilityvehicles/a/honda_pilot.htm

· Registered
4,228 Posts
Paul.V said:
Thanks,
Paul
Congrats, and welcome to the cyberfamily. Uh ... I sure hope the Canadian '04 model has the more manly sounding horn! :15:

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, picked it up today...EX-L black on black..... kids really liked the seats in the 2004 better than the 2005?? 2005 they said were stiffer? I dont know.
Robrecht, horn(s) is nicely loud & quite manly.
we got it home , pulled the front clip off & installed pwr steering & tranny coolers.
I love this truck! 4 wheel works quite well too...not that I'm beatin the hills all the time but we already went out to an abandoned gravel pit/motocross area & I was surprised how well it worked! probably the last trip there but had to se how this AWD was...awesome! performed as well as my 2007 sierra crew 4x4!! pics will come soon!
Paul

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, picked it up today...EX-L black on black..... kids really liked the seats in the 2004 better than the 2005?? 2005 they said were stiffer? I dont know.
Robrecht, horn(s) is nicely loud & quite manly.
we got it home , pulled the front clip off & installed pwr steering & tranny coolers.
I love this truck! 4 wheel works quite well too...not that I'm beatin the hills all the time but we already went out to an abandoned gravel pit/motocross area & I was surprised how well it worked! probably the last trip there but had to se how this AWD was...awesome! performed as well as my 2007 sierra crew 4x4!! pics will come soon!
Paul

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm also shopping in the 2003 - 2005 range. We were kind of hung up on finding one with a sunroof, and I'm looking for one with about 100k miles or less.

In my neck of the woods an 2004 or 2005 w/ sunroof is about $14000-$15000. I just happened upon a 2003 LX, so no sunroof. But it only had 91k miles and the dealer wants $9500 asking price. Assuming the transmission is good, does this sound like a deal. And should I be worried about anything else specific to a 2003 LX vs an '04/'05 EX-L? I don't understand why it's several grand cheaper...

· Registered
24 Posts
'03s did not come with sunroofs.
Uh, right. I'm thinking about making a concession on the sunroof if this turns out to be a really good deal.

So I talked to the dealer. He said he bought it at auction from one of the really big dealers local to here. I know he's been advertising it for well over a month now.
He got it for $8100 or $8400, he couldn't remember. And he admitted flat out he's just looking to make $500-$1000 a vehicle. This means I can probably snag it for just under $9000. He's just some small town dealer.

He also said that some "V" light is coming on when engaging 4WD. This just started happening and he is taking it into his mechanic in the next day or so. I'm going to try to drive out there Tuesday and take a look at it. Hopefully he should have an answer from the mechanic. And I'll run the VIN in the meantime.

What do you guys think? For under $9k does this sound like a deal? Assuming this light isn't a big issue...

Aside from VCM on the 2005 EX-L would I be giving up anything else but perks (aka sunroof)?

· Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm also shopping in the 2003 - 2005 range. We were kind of hung up on finding one with a sunroof, and I'm looking for one with about 100k miles or less.

In my neck of the woods an 2004 or 2005 w/ sunroof is about $14000-$15000. I just happened upon a 2003 LX, so no sunroof. But it only had 91k miles and the dealer wants $9500 asking price. Assuming the transmission is good, does this sound like a deal. And should I be worried about anything else specific to a 2003 LX vs an '04/'05 EX-L? I don't understand why it's several grand cheaper...
Kelly's Blue Book lists a 2003 Pilot LX with 91K miles at $10,695 (retail) in my area.

Some differences that a 2004/05 EX-L will have over a 2003 LX...

1. Leather upholstery
2. Heated seats and side mirrors
3. Seat belt reminder system (added in 2004 to all models)
4. Alloy wheels
5. Auto-off headlamps
6. Power driver's seat
7. Keyless entry
8. Automatic climate control
9. Homelink
10. Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
11. Different engine (2005)
12. Tire pressure monitoring system (2005)
13. Stability control (2005)
14. Bigger gas tank (2005)
15. 6-disc CD changer

· Registered
1,655 Posts
He got it for $8100 or $8400, he couldn't remember. And he admitted flat out he's just looking to make $500-$1000 a vehicle. This means I can probably snag it for just under $9000. He's just some small town dealer.

He also said that some "V" light is coming on when engaging 4WD. This just started happening and he is taking it into his mechanic in the next day or so. I'm going to try to drive out there Tuesday and take a look at it. Hopefully he should have an answer from the mechanic. And I'll run the VIN in the meantime.

What do you guys think? For under $9k does this sound like a deal? Assuming this light isn't a big issue...

Aside from VCM on the 2005 EX-L would I be giving up anything else but perks (aka sunroof)?
There should not be any lights coming on when power is being sent to the rear wheels. If the light that the dealer is talking about is the "VTM-4" indicator, then that is an indicator of a malfunction with the 4WD system and should be taken in for repair.

Also, there was a recall related to the 2003 for the transmission. Make sure that has been done.

Personally, I'd steer clear of that vehicle if there's a problem with the VTM-4 system.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
Sounds like he is hitting the VTM4 Lock button-ie the guy has no idea what he is dealing with.

However if someone threw in 90wt rather than VTM fluid, avoid it like the plague

· Registered
1,655 Posts
There should not be any lights coming on when power is being sent to the rear wheels. If the light that the dealer is talking about is the "VTM-4" indicator, then that is an indicator of a malfunction with the 4WD system and should be taken in for repair.

Also, there was a recall related to the 2003 for the transmission. Make sure that has been done.

Personally, I'd steer clear of that vehicle if there's a problem with the VTM-4 system.
Rocky brings up a good point.

On the Pilot, you do not need to do anything to engage 4WD. The system is automatic... it sends power to the rear wheels as needed. The VTM-4 button is used to lock it into 4WD (only locks it up to 18 mph), but you shouldn't do this unless you're stuck. When the VTM-4 lock is engaged, the VTM-4 light will be lit on the dashboard. The light should not come on any other time while you're driving.

If the dealer thinks that pressing the VTM-4 button engages the 4WD, then this could be what is happening.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts