Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Pilot. This past Sunday morning at 6am, I tried starting it and the battery was dead. My friend came over and helped because it didn't seem like a simple "jump"issue. He got it running again by messing with the postive terminal. Problem solved... so we thought. Later that evening, I tried unlocking it and the fob didn't work nor could I even unlock it manually with the key itself! This morning I had it towed to Meineke where, after testing the batter and alternator (both fine), they determined that the "whole fuse box under the hood needs to be replaced." They said when it's turned off, it really isn't going "off." Instead, it's continuing to drain 400+ volts (can't remember the exact term) from the battery, causing it to die almost instantly. They quoted me $1000-1500 to replace... Has anyone ever heard of this happening and offer advice? I wanted to go to Pull-A-Part and get a used fuse box.. other ideas?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
take it to Honda or replace the main cable to the fuse box from the battery ... they are ripping you off in those places ... they wanted a $100 to change a tail light bulb...

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
I’d ask them what makes them think it’s the fuse box. If something is drawing 400 amps the fuse on that circuit would open up. Ask them where that 400 amps is going. The only place I can think where that much current could flow is the starter and that’s a direct connection to the battery positive terminal. Perhaps the starter relay or solenoid is sticking in the activated position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d ask them what makes them think it’s the fuse box. If something is drawing 400 amps the fuse on that circuit would open up. Ask them where that 400 amps is going. The only place I can think where that much current could flow is the starter and that’s a direct connection to the battery positive terminal. Perhaps the starter relay or solenoid is sticking in the activated position.
Thank you for your reply. I will ask them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts