Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 pilot . I’ve never used the vtm.
Question number 1: is my pilot all wheel drive naturally or just front wheel drive
Question number 2: the vtm light is staying on by the dash /odometer. A solid yellow light lit up . Doesn’t go off .
question number 3: if I push on the vtm button itself . It does not light up , nor stay pushed in . I was is 1st gear.

answers anyone ?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,692 Posts
You might get more relevant answers by posting in the 2003-2008 subforum, since you have a 2003.

You've actually been using VTM all the time, perhaps without realizing. It's a great system that usually works sort of under the radar. You've got to change the VTM-4 fluid as directed. When was the last time it was changed?

Read more below on how this cleverly engineered system works.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might get more relevant answers by posting in the 2003-2008 subforum, since you have a 2003.

You've actually been using VTM all the time, perhaps without realizing. It's a great system that usually works sort of under the radar. You've got to change the VTM-4 fluid as directed. When was the last time it was changed?

Read more below on how this cleverly engineered system works.

View attachment 145839
I wasn’t able to download the pdf. I’ll be able to with some help. If it’s in 4wd all the time if certainly spins it’s wheels

I’ll respond when Ican

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I have a 2003 pilot . I’ve never used the vtm.
Question number 1: is my pilot all wheel drive naturally or just front wheel drive
Question number 2: the vtm light is staying on by the dash /odometer. A solid yellow light lit up . Doesn’t go off .
question number 3: if I push on the vtm button itself . It does not light up , nor stay pushed in . I was is 1st gear.
If it’s in 4wd all the time if certainly spins it’s wheels
I’ll respond when Ican
VTM-4 system is (normally) on all of the time.
The VTM-4 warning light in the instrument cluster indicates that there is a fault with the system and it has been disabled.
The VTM-4 LOCK button has a momentary action (and does not stay pushed in) and sends extra power to the rear wheels at low speed and only when in 1st, 2nd or reverse.
Are any other warning lights on?
If you have an OBD code reader, see if any trouble codes are present.
If you don't have a code reader, see if any local auto parts stores will read the codes for free.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VTM-4 system is (normally) on all of the time.
The VTM-4 warning light in the instrument cluster indicates that there is a fault with the system and it has been disabled.
The VTM-4 LOCK button has a momentary action (and does not stay pushed in) and sends extra power to the rear wheels at low speed and only when in 1st, 2nd or reverse.
Are any other warning lights on?
If you have an OBD code reader, see if any trouble codes are present.
If you don't have a code reader, see if any local auto parts stores will read the codes for free.
Thank you soooo much for your advice . Yes there is another light on called abs . That stays on also.

If I understand. It’s in 4 wheel drive all the time , but when you push the vtm buttons it gives more torque to the rear if your stuck .

I will go to Autozone and check codes

Thank you !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you soooo much for your advice . Yes there is another light on called abs . That stays on also.

If I understand. It’s in 4 wheel drive all the time , but when you push the vtm buttons it gives more torque to the rear if your stuck .

Thank you !
I just looked . It’s the SRS light staying on also

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
So definitely get your codes read. If the ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) isn't functioning, not only don't you have that safety feature, but it's likely what's causing your VTM MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) to come on, indicating that your VTM is in fact not working either. Add to that that your SRS (Supplementary Restraint System, i.e., airbags) MIL is on, indicating that you airbags are likely not working, and you have some important safety issues that should be addressed without further ado.

Autozone code readers may be able to read some generic codes, but probably not all Honda-specific codes. Unless you or someone you know has the tools and experience to deal with Honda-specific issues, you'll need to go to a Honda dealership. Not cheap, but safety first.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,020 Posts
Sounds like you will need a Honda specific code reader (or a shop which has one) to get to the bottom of this. I don’t believe a generic code reader will decipher the VTM-4 codes.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

Thank you !
If the ABS and VTM warning lights are on, it could possibly be related to a wheel speed sensor - but that is just speculation.
The AutoZone scan is a first pass test, at no cost to you.
The Honda dealer will likely charge an hour's labor as a diagnostic fee for a more in-depth scan.

What is the most recent work you've had done to the vehicle?
Anything involving the wheels? Tire rotation? Flat tire? New tires? New brake pads/rotors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the ABS and VTM warning lights are on, it could possibly be related to a wheel speed sensor - but that is just speculation.
The AutoZone scan is a first pass test, at no cost to you.
The Honda dealer will likely charge an hour's labor as a diagnostic fee for a more in-depth scan.

What is the most recent work you've had done to the vehicle?
Anything involving the wheels? Tire rotation? Flat tire? New tires? New brake pads/rotors?
Ok . Going to Autozone tomorrow to check codes .

yes . I’ve hadnew tires put on .
I’ll let you know if scan results.
Thank you

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
yes . I’ve hadnew tires put on .
Is that somewhat contemporaneous with when your problems started? Perhaps a wheel speed sensor was damaged in the process. Where did you get your new tires installed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that somewhat contemporaneous with when your problems started? Perhaps a wheel speed sensor was damaged in the process. Where did you get your new tires installed?
from a private garage who changes tires for 80 years ! Maybe , something happened with the last tire change

going tomorrow to check codes

Thank you !!

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
The door lock actuators would not likely be the cause of the dash lights you're seeing.

Unless you have and know how to use a scan tool like a Foxwell NT-630 that can read Honda-specific codes, or know someone who does, I think the time may have come for a trip to your dealership. Just make sure your budget is prepared for the shock it may receive.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,129 Posts
If you are having any wheel spin, sounds like the VSA is off, and based on what you've posted, you no longer have VTM, or ABS working either?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts