Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cel light is on. Vtm-4 is off but turns on after driving awhile. Waiting for code reader to arrive. I used a code reader from oriellys and it didn't read transmission codes. This one im getting will.
What engine codes did it pull? If you had 'random misfire' just bite the bullet and do the valve adjustment. Regardless of miles, I think it would be quite miraculous for a 15yo 2004 Pilot to not need it...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oh, and 2 other things you may want to add to your list - change the cabin air filter and clean the screen down by the gas pedal. There is a sticky to help with the cabin air filter...

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh, and 2 other things you may want to add to your list - change the cabin air filter and clean the screen down by the gas pedal. There is a sticky to help with the cabin air filter...
Did the cabin air..will check screen. Thank you!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After lots of thought, and code reading and live data stream, I am taking th advice here and doing the valve lash adjustment.
May start this or next weekend. Looking at what gaskets and tools needed. Thank heavens I work at a parts store..lol

·
Registered
337 Posts
Long offset feeler gauges will be your best friend, especially for the backside. Other than feeler gauges, nothing special needed. I used copious amounts of brake cleaner and carb cleaner for the valve cover gaskets and various other parts I cleaned as part of the job. SuperTech from Walmart works fine and will save some serious $$ - I literally used about 4 cans of each, but then again, my valves hadn't been adjusted with 300+k on the motor.

A large canvas painters tarp or old comforter to drape over the engine and front post (with the hood latch), and a low platform to stand on, will also make it more comfortable when you do the rear. If I need to do it again, I'm taking off the front wheels and dropping the front end as low as the low-profile jack will allow me - the backside is a real stretch.

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Long offset feeler gauges will be your best friend, especially for the backside. Other than feeler gauges, nothing special needed. I used copious amounts of brake cleaner and carb cleaner for the valve cover gaskets and various other parts I cleaned as part of the job. SuperTech from Walmart works fine and will save some serious $$ - I literally used about 4 cans of each, but then again, my valves hadn't been adjusted with 300+k on the motor.

A large canvas painters tarp or old comforter to drape over the engine and front post (with the hood latch, and a low platform to stand on, will also make it more comfortable when you do the rear. If I need to do it again, I'm taking off the wheels and dropping the front end as low as the low-profile jack will allow me - the backside is a real stretch.
Oh yeah! Great tip! I'll drop the front tires too! Save my back! Woot!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just remember you'll need to use a rachet-socket to turn the crankshaft and read the cylinder numbers - so don't drop it too low, or that part will turn into a real killer B ;-)

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just remember you'll need to use a rachet-socket to turn the crankshaft and read the cylinder numbers - so don't drop it too low, or that part will turn into a real killer B ;-)
I watched a video on it and taking notes. Will avoid sir. Thank you!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
First I found a decent buy on a scan tool Foxwell NT614 Elite for 155.00. Can use this on all my vehicles. This scan tool reads, engine, abs, srs, transmission and covers hondas and live data so it should help me purge this thing of its gremlins.
(Not advertising, just explaining what I am going to be using)
You know you're allowed to say what scan tool you got. I often mention mine, but it's good for members to have more options available, especially if yours also does Honda-specific codes. So which model is it?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts