Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am NEW to honda and only here because of fiancée driving this creature and she loves it. Me..i hate having to learn new stuff! meh not really true..am a gm ford guy

First I found a decent buy on a scan tool Foxwell NT614 Elite for 155.00. Can use this on all my vehicles. This scan tool reads, engine, abs, srs, transmission and covers hondas and live data so it should help me purge this thing of its gremlins.
(Not advertising, just explaining what I am going to be using)

What I have done so far.
Replaced both front struts and vertical stabilizer links. (much smoother!)
Drained and refilled transmission 2x with Honda fluid.
Drained and filled differential with Honda fluid 2x and washers on drain and fill plugs.
(drove in figure 8s both ways during and after fills)
Replaced the differential temp sensor on first drain and fill/
Replaced spark plugs with OEM plugs.
Changed the coils for denso coils as cylinder 1 was misfiring and followed it when I moved it to 2.
Changed the oil and filter. Synthetic high mileage oil.
Cleaned the erg paths in the upper manifold and on the engine. (plugged and plenum gasket was bubbled blocking paths)
Replaced the EGR valve and PCV and MAP sensor.
Running hella better!
BUT, I still have the VTM-4 light coming on after driving awhile.
Considering valve lash adjustment but only after reading codes when code reader arrives.

Now, all the research I have done here I am still not clear on what to do to get rid of the VTM-4 light. I can after starting, put pilot in reverse and turn the VTM-4 on by the switch and it seems to work. But not once the light turns on.

I will post new info in here as I go just to get input from you experts.

PS, I am a manager of a NAPA here in South Dakota so I have access to inexpensive parts.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the Pilot project. (y) I don't know if this might help?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,172 Posts
Did you replace the differential temperature sensor with an OEM part?

If your Foxwell scanner doesn’t read the VTM-4 codes there is a method to blink the main code (but not sub code) on the dash. Let us know if you end up needing those instructions.

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you replace the differential temperature sensor with an OEM part?

If your Foxwell scanner doesn’t read the VTM-4 codes there is a method to blink the main code (but not sub code) on the dash. Let us know if you end up needing those instructions.
Yes. I did replace the differential temp sensor with oem part. I need to unplug it and clean the connector and apply dielectric grease to make sure corrosion isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking of replacing the idle air control but am going to wait for code reader. Clear the codes and then record live data while driving to see wtheck is popping the codes. Will post the live data results.

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on mileage the timing belt (plus tensioner and water pump) should have been replaced once.
Based on time, it should already have been done twice.
What's the status with this vehicle?

If it is due, at least NAPA sells the Aisin kit.
Already ordered the kit on Friday. Vehicle is running so much better after all work done mentioned on first post. I'm very picky and won't ignore lights on the dash. I have an 03 expedition that took me a month to chase down a short in a wire harness for an intermittent error code. I won't rest till this vehicle is code free. Engine uses no oil and transmission is good..I think..code reader will give me info on that. I won't throw parts at it without justification.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
I'd inspect the intake hose for cracks.

If discover that the engine has been pulling in unfiltered air, I wouldn't neccesarily replace the air control valve. Remove throttle body. Gently clean the dust and grime buildup around the butterfly valve, inside and out. Avoid getting solvent in the electronics. This will require a throttle reset. May run a little rough at first.

Since it is an 04, I'd check the ground cable/straps. It's very common to see these corroded causing electrical problems and transmission shifting isues. At a minimum unbolt clean connections and reattach. Wal-Mart sells these cheap. I'm sure Napa has similar replacements.

• Negative battery terminal to chassis
  • Starter/engine to chassis
  • Transmission to chassis

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
I see your two cracked air intake tubes...

...and I raise you two.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ok, because nobody has asked - the VTM-4 and CEL are both illuminated, correct? If the VTM-4 and CEL are both on, then it's likely engine related and you should investigate the CEL codes first.

If the VTM-4 code is on by itself, it's most likely a problem with the drivetrain. From personal experience, after I changed my VTM fluid the code came back after about 1 week - I was positive it was filled it with fluid when I changed it, but I either had a small leak or loose plug, and by adding like 2 oz of fluid turned off the code.

The scanners used by O'Reilly and Autozone (at least in Michigan) can read Honda CEL codes, ABS codes and VTM codes. A list of VTM-4 specific codes (these are from the Ridgeline forum but apply to our Pilot) are below.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Ok, because nobody has asked - the VTM-4 and CEL are both illuminated, correct? If the VTM-4 and CEL are both on, then it's likely engine related and you should investigate the CEL codes first.

If the VTM-4 code is on by itself, it's most likely a problem with the drivetrain. From personal experience, after I changed my VTM fluid the code came back after about 1 week - I was positive it was filled it with fluid when I changed it, but I either had a small leak or loose plug, and by adding like 2 oz of fluid turned off the code.

The scanners used by O'Reilly and Autozone (at least in Michigan) can read Honda CEL codes, ABS codes and VTM codes. A list of VTM-4 specific codes (these are from the Ridgeline forum but apply to our Pilot) are below.

View attachment 151452
Yes, always fix engine trouble codes first. Most of the time the VTM-4 light will go off.

Reactions: Bill Pistulka

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,172 Posts
When I fill the rear differential, I’ll fill it until it drips then lightly tighten the fill port. Then I’ll drive forward and reverse a few hundred feet each way and top it off until it drips out which normally takes a couple pumps of fluid. I wonder if that is why you ended up a few ounces low.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
337 Posts
Very possible. I used my buddy’s lift to drain and fill, and didn’t drive and recheck as part of the service.

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

View attachment 151452
Cel light is on. Vtm-4 is off but turns on after driving awhile. Waiting for code reader to arrive. I used a code reader from oriellys and it didn't read transmission codes. This one im getting will.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts