Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about 200k on my original transmission. It has the 0740 code (or whatever the torque converter one was) and I thought I needed a new tranny. I ended up changing the fluid twice and cleaned out the little screens (which were plugged) and it seemed to have fixed it. I have been driving it around as my daily get around town car and it seems to either work great 90% of the time and then it started kicking me with a hard shift code. My question is, how do i know when the tranny is just not worth tryibg to save. i feel like the shift solenoids need to be replaced and I could keep it going. How do I know if they are bad or should I just give up hope and replace the tranny. The car runs perfect and I'm having a hard time letting it go haha. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention I have been driving it about two years since the first problem happened. It doesn't seem to me that the tranny is dead as it functions fine 90% of the time but that %10 worries me.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,535 Posts
At 200k miles and the symptoms you,re describing, I'd give changing out the shift solenoids (pressure switches) a shot. Get OEM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just about 200k on my original transmission. It has the 0740 code (or whatever the torque converter one was) and I thought I needed a new tranny. I ended up changing the fluid twice and cleaned out the little screens (which were plugged) and it seemed to have fixed it. I have been driving it around as my daily get around town car and it seems to either work great 90% of the time and then it started kicking me with a hard shift code. My question is, how do i know when the tranny is just not worth tryibg to save. i feel like the shift solenoids need to be replaced and I could keep it going. How do I know if they are bad or should I just give up hope and replace the tranny. The car runs perfect and I'm having a hard time letting it go haha. Thanks.
From everything I have gathered the solenoid is the culprit and is a common cause for the shifting hard. Did you inspect oil and plug for foreign matter?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can you better define the problem? As in - do you feel a shudder at 40 mph, a hard shift when you accelerate from 25 to 30mph, etc.

Also - have you changed the VTM4 fluid? In my experience with my 03, if the rear end isn’t shifting well it can alter tranny performance.

I would drain, change the pressure switches, refill and drain/refill again and then change the VTM fluid. Even if you buy everything from Honda, the 2 switches and all the fluids should be around $200 or less.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Something else to consider - if you’re on the original radiator, the heat transfer may be subpar. The tranny fluid may get warmer than usual sometimes, which could cause some intermittent slipping.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Your 2003 has a replaceable external ATF filter. If you have not changed this, you should do so. It is located on top of the transmission, just to the rear of the battery box. You will need to remove the battery box to access this filter. The filter is a small, spin-on type with an oil pipe bolted into the top. Honda sells them for about $60, but you can find them on Amazon for less than $20. I bet that Rock Auto sells them, too. When I replaced the one on my 2003, I reused the old 0-ring that sealed the oil pipe connection, with no problems.

Another drain and fill would not hurt, and may help. If you are not using Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF, you should do so. It has seal conditioners that are beneficial to an older transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts