Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed the entire front subframe from my pilot in order to install a new transmission. Everything went relatively smoothly until I went to bolt the subframe back in. It was difficult to get it lined up but after moving jacks around and prying it into place, I had it lined up enough to get the four main subframe/crossmember bolts in. Upon tightening these up I noticed that about 1/4 of the way in, three of them got very difficult to turn. I ended up using a 300 ft.lb ratchet on one of them but quickly decided something wasn't right. And sure enough, when I took the bolt out, a metal shaving fell out. I'm pretty sure that they are cross threading. Seems odd though that 3 of the bolts are doing the same thing, only one of them went in smoothly. In the picture you can see that the first 1/2 inch or so of the bolt is polished off also leading me to believe there's a problem. I know that they weren't receiving pressure from the subframe when I put them in so I'm not sure why this happened.
My plan is to use a die to at least get the bolts cleaned off (they have some locktite residue on them). If that doesn't work I'm planning on getting a 14mm tap and die to try to re-thread them. Does anyone know what the thread pitch is on these bolts? Haven't been able to find it online. These bolts are very structurally important to the frame so it seems important that they go in correctly. Any advice helps!

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Go to a shop where they sell bolt hardware.
They can measure it for you and tell you what the pitch is.
I forget what the name of our local shop is, but look local and they could probably supply you with new
bolts also.
Even a machine shop will give you advice.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Run the correct size rethreader to clean up the threads. Taps would be my alternate choice but proceed carefully as they can cut new threads. IMO the sub-frame was not in perfect alignment when reinstalling the bolts. I’ll see if I have the pitch but I know they are M14 and probably 135 mm. I got new OEM bolts when I installed my lift kit. If you were nearby I would give you my old ones which are in good shape.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Once both bolt& weld nut threads are cleaned up run the bolts into the subframe manually to confirm they are a match. Torque specs should be approx 76 ft lb (from memory). Other than the 3 of 4 bolts giving you trouble the other 6 smaller bolts have a different torque spec

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to a bolt shop and found out that the pitch is 1.50 (M14 - 1.50). What's the best way to clean the weld nuts? And should I go ahead and buy a rethreading die to clean the bolts off?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Went to a bolt shop and found out that the pitch is 1.50 (M14 - 1.50). What's the best way to clean the weld nuts? And should I go ahead and buy a rethreading die to clean the bolts off?

Thanks
O'Reilly Auto parts has a tool loaner program. I checked out this kit for $100. Return within 48 hours and they put the money back to your card.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Ran a rethreading die over all three bolts and it went on easily by hand, so I think the bolts aren't the problem. Next step is to either rent or buy a M14x1.5 tap and hit the weld nuts. I'm almost certain at this point that the nuts are what's cross threaded. So I'm gonna have to drop the subframe, AGAIN. Never used a rethreading tap but I know its a delicate process and I need to be careful not to bore them out.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Update: Ran a rethreading die over all three bolts and it went on easily by hand, so I think the bolts aren't the problem. Next step is to either rent or buy a M14x1.5 tap and hit the weld nuts. I'm almost certain at this point that the nuts are what's cross threaded. So I'm gonna have to drop the subframe, AGAIN. Never used a rethreading tap but I know its a delicate process and I need to be careful not to bore them out.
Bought a few individual taps from Amazon to clean out some O2 sensor threads. They carry several name brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts