Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a small pre-made hole in the top of my steering column cover which must be for this specific situation. I can't get the shifter out of park unless I manual depress the lever through that hole.

Initially, I stuck my key into it, released the gear shift to neutral and then used the key to start it up. After taking apart the steering wheel column cover and inspecting, it seems a purely mechanical problem and not too dangerous. So, I have been carrying a flat head screwdriver around depressing the lever as needed. It is shifting from gear to gear very smoothly, no trouble starting up or anything. However, I don't want to continue with the screwdriver and thought it may be an indication of trouble to come.

What normally causes the lever to move and allow the shifter to come out of park? Which part should I be looking at to repair/replace? My brother suggested a neutral safety switch connected to the brake. Just though I'd ask the experts who have gotten me successfully through a window replacement and ignition lock assembly repair.

Thanks - SunnyTeresa

·
Registered
235 Posts
On my 2003, it is the brake pedal switch. You have to have your foot on the brake to put it into gear. You can adjust the switch with a wrench. Do a search on this site to find instructions. Easy to do but you may have to buy a new switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your responses. I will come back with more questions, I'm sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I jinxed myself by saying I would be back with more questions.

I replaced the brake light switch and it still won't come out of Park. The lights have been working the whole time, so I don't think it is the fuse. What do I try next? I read something about a solenoid??

SunnyTeresa

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am not sure and will let someone else respond. Just make sure you have the brake light switch in correctly as I have found it to prevent the shifter from moving if not in right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We spent some more time adjusting the replacement brake light switch, and it seems to have taken care of the problem. We can now shift it out of park smoothly.

Thanks again for all the help.

SunnyTeresa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts