Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda pilot, the soft lever is stuck in parking, I'm able to shift with the override button.

I still have working break lights
No burned fuses
I unplugged the shift lever solenoid jumped it and it works.

I tested the voltage at the shift lever solenoid connector and there is 12 volts but no ground.

What else to check ?

I

·
Administrator
15,524 Posts
Are you using the shift release lock on the steering column?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,960 Posts
If you can locate a wiring diagram and post it here perhaps we can offer some suggestions. I looked in my Haynes manual but there isn’t anything useful in there for this circuit. I don’t recall seeing (m)any posts on this topic.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I can barely read the screen shot, but it does look like there is a transistor internal to the module which may have gone bad. I think someone else also mentioned that.
What you can try are:
1) Verify continuity between the wire from the module to the solenoid. If no continuity then repair the break.
2) If the wire has continuity see if you can determine what inputs to the module would cause the transistor to drive. Check those connections to the module.
3) If the inputs look good then the suspected bad part is the transistor within the module. If you can locate a replacement part and have decent soldering skills you should be able to replace it. There would be no guarantee this is the only problem within the module.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I saw the schematic is not that clear. I was trying to find a better snap shot of it. I know how to solder, I'll check the continuity between ground solenoid wire to the pcm module.

Thank you I'll keep things posted as I go. I'll try to post a better picture

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Yeah I saw the schematic is not that clear. I was trying to find a better snap shot of it. I'll try to post a better picture
Try this: On your computer, print current page to PDF, then upload resulting PDF to Piloteers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for helping. I have a print out if the schematic I'll post it up tommorow after work. I checked the continuity from the negative wire from the shifter solenoid and it's intact. It connects to the ecu module. So I'm thinking what else to check or do I assume it's the module.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for helping. I have a print out of the schematic I'll post it up tommorow after work. I checked the continuity from the negative wire from the shifter solenoid and it's intact. It connects to the ecu module. So I'm thinking what else to check or do I assume it's the module.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Check that the wiring at the module is fully connected. You might even try disconnecting and reconnecting everything (after unplugging battery negative).
Make sure to look at the back side of the wiring harness(es) to see if any of the wire crimps are sliding out from the connector housing.
Other than that, the problem seems to be pointing at the innards of the module.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok my status is yes it could be the module, I rechecked each connector wire and everything is intact. I was thinking what triggers the ecm to provide ground ? I did notice when I first had this problem the car was giving me a tps code and stumbling now no codes. I have the car parked pondering where I can have the pcm repair if that's the problem. I have a junkyard ecu module, I can't use it because my current key is not program to that ecu.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok good news. I figured out my issue. It was The Throttle Position Sensor. I swapped it out and the darn gear shift handle solenoid was activated when I pressed the brake. Who ever knew this would be the cause of not being able to shift out of parking.

Thank you for every body who helped me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts