Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in possibly installing a curved LED bar on my 03 pilot and adding an LED bar switch to one of the empty slots on the driver side cubby. Any recommendations on which brand I should buy? Or anybody with experience that does not recommend doing this?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,342 Posts
I haven’t seen any aftermarket switches advertised for the Pilot, unlike for my Tacoma where there are plenty of modders and plenty of companies willing to sell parts to them. Your best bet for the switch may be to pull one from a junk yard vehicle, perhaps a fog light switch if it’s the same size as your dash hole. Use a fuse then relay between the battery positive connection and the light bar connection.

From what I have read on the Tacoma forums you can get one of the top tier brands and spend 10x the money for 2x the performance of the Amazon cheapie one. That’s your call depending on what you need the light bar for. For my auxiliary reverse lights on my truck I went with the Amazon cheapie and have been happy with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t seen any aftermarket switches advertised for the Pilot, unlike for my Tacoma where there are plenty of modders and plenty of companies willing to sell parts to them. Your best bet for the switch may be to pull one from a junk yard vehicle, perhaps a fog light switch if it’s the same size as your dash hole. Use a fuse then relay between the battery positive connection and the light bar connection.

From what I have read on the Tacoma forums you can get one of the top tier brands and spend 10x the money for 2x the performance of the Amazon cheapie one. That’s your call depending on what you need the light bar for. For my auxiliary reverse lights on my truck I went with the Amazon cheapie and have been happy with them.
Thanks for the feedback! There aren't any switches for the Pilot unfortunately. I'll take your advice on probably using a fog light switch that matches the size. I did stumble upon this switch on amazon do you think it might work? If not, junker it is then haha

I'm also trying to find a good LED bar for a very cheap price, so I'm searching on amazon like you did.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
For the light bar I concur with the comment above. I bought a 40" curved light bar for the front of my truck & maybe the paint finish won't last as long as a name brand but it was $80 vs $500 for something that could be broken by a stone, and it is damned bright.

For the pilot I couldn't see an easy way to mount a bar nicely so I put a pair of lights recessed under the grille, again Amazon specials, about $70. Wired to high beam through a relay so no switch.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,342 Posts
If you go to Mictuning’s website it seems they cater to Toyota and Ford. If you know someone with a Toyota or Ford you might check if one of your blanks fits into the their vehicle’s dash hole.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,342 Posts
For the light bar I concur with the comment above. I bought a 40" curved light bar for the front of my truck & maybe the paint finish won't last as long as a name brand but it was $80 vs $500 for something that could be broken by a stone, and it is damned bright.

For the pilot I couldn't see an easy way to mount a bar nicely so I put a pair of lights recessed under the grille, again Amazon specials, about $70. Wired to high beam through a relay so no switch.

LED lights on the front look great. Are those 6LED per pod? How did you end up mounting them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
LED lights on the front look great. Are those 6LED per pod? How did you end up mounting them?
Amazon don't list them anymore but similar to these.

I particularly ike the 'side shooter' part, they light up sideways really well which is good for the dark windy roads where I live.

I just mounted through the plastic part of the bumper with a big square washer above. They haven't had any issues with shaking/flickering as they aren't very heavy.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,342 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wish these side shooters existed when I installed my extra reverse lights. If my existing ones die I know what they’ll get replaced with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That looks really good thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nice job on the auxiliary lights! Light bars can be cool but have very limited use applications and some states require covers. I posted a thread on auxiliary switches that I added to my Pilot for 12V accessories with ez hookup under the hood and only one bundled cable needs go through the firewall.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone have experience with using any of these light bars in heavy snow conditions? I live in CO and go powder chasing a lot.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have a LED bar and a front push bar on my 06 ..no issues with the snow .. bounces off dear nicely too ! .. make sure all the connections are water proof.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think all Led lights reflect a lot of light back from heavy falling snow, just like fog you will likely be better off with low beams in heavy snow.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I think all Led lights reflect a lot of light back from heavy falling snow, just like fog you will likely be better off with low beams in heavy snow.

I use them on the back streets (paths) up north of Ontario i doubt your gonna get any more heavier snow than that. You are correct i always tilt them downward to reduce the glare but they are helpful while being out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, I live in BC & get quite a bit of snow, I like seeing as much as possible to avoid wildlife etc it's just when the snow is falling the LEDs can reflect back at you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts