Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Pilot. Having issues with ignition. Inserted key and it refuses to budge. Can’t put it into gear to maybe roll it out of my driveway. Steering wheel can be moved.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
2003 Pilot. Having issues with ignition. Inserted key and it refuses to budge. Can’t put it into gear to maybe roll it out of my driveway. Steering wheel can be moved.
Your ignition key cylinder has jammed. The cylinder uses split wafers that follow the pattern on your key. Unfortunately, after long use, the wafers wear down and no longer follow the key properly. The Honda dealership can replace this for big money, or you can remove the individual worn out wafers and keep your old key at no cost--if you are a handy DIY person.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have had this exact problem. Do a search on this forum for Key Sticking in Ignition. My solution is detailed in post #9. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,501 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined to reply to this thread. I've been having the same problem with my '03 since I purchased it a few weeks back from an old family friend. My brother and I took it to the dealer to get a quote on the fix and it was upwards of $700! I haven't quite figured out which replacement part I need since we can still get it to turn as long as we insert the key at the right angle. I found that if you keep the wheel straight and angle the key down towards yourself while slightly pushing up on it will let you turn it 90% of the time. Obviously not a fix but at least lets you drive yourself to a repair place or wherever you need to be!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Watch the video! The problem is caused by worn wafers in the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2004 about 2 years ago, I removed the wafers as mentioned and all is well, it's a nice feature if you're warming up the engine and you gotta go back in the house after you locked the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After much sweat, tears, missed appointments, do this- Remove lock cylinder and take out all wafers and you'll never have the issue again, and no one will be able to screwdriver start your Pilot without Learned chip. :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,501 Posts
After much sweat, tears, missed appointments, do this- Remove lock cylinder and take out all wafers and you'll never have the issue again, and no one will be able to screwdriver start your Pilot without Learned chip. :)
Some members have removed some of the wafers but not all. Have you done that? Have you actually removed them all? If so, how's it working out for you?

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
641 Posts
Another thing to check if you can't move the shifter is the brake light switch. Two of the four wires control the shift interlock solenoid. You can also remove the roughly 3/8" X 1" cover on top of the steering column and manually push the interlock mechanism with a key, or screwdriver. The second option will allow you to shift the vehicle out of park if the battery is dead also. I've had ours stick just shy of going all the way into park, and when it does so the key can't be turned. Once it gets put all the way into park it works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some members have removed some of the wafers but not all. Have you done that? Have you actually removed them all? If so, how's it working out for you?
Great! I haven't had the problem of being stranded because of a cheesy lil spring and metal keeping my ignition cylinder from rotating to any position aside from "STUCK"

·
Registered
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ super fancy seats
62 Posts
There is a recall for the shift interlock. I just got my 03 done last month. Go thru. owners.honda.com
There were more airbag recalls and wiring to the headlights. They will be able to see what recall work was done but airbags were a few times so you may need to catch up. Once you are registered, you would be automatically sent any future recall stuff. Also check the fuse in the engine compartment for the anti theft

1 - 14 of 14 Posts