Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Pilot. Having issues with ignition. Inserted key and it refuses to budge. Can’t put it into gear to maybe roll it out of my driveway. Steering wheel can be moved.

·
Registered
583 Posts
2003 Pilot. Having issues with ignition. Inserted key and it refuses to budge. Can’t put it into gear to maybe roll it out of my driveway. Steering wheel can be moved.
Your ignition key cylinder has jammed. The cylinder uses split wafers that follow the pattern on your key. Unfortunately, after long use, the wafers wear down and no longer follow the key properly. The Honda dealership can replace this for big money, or you can remove the individual worn out wafers and keep your old key at no cost--if you are a handy DIY person.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have had this exact problem. Do a search on this forum for Key Sticking in Ignition. My solution is detailed in post #9. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined to reply to this thread. I've been having the same problem with my '03 since I purchased it a few weeks back from an old family friend. My brother and I took it to the dealer to get a quote on the fix and it was upwards of $700! I haven't quite figured out which replacement part I need since we can still get it to turn as long as we insert the key at the right angle. I found that if you keep the wheel straight and angle the key down towards yourself while slightly pushing up on it will let you turn it 90% of the time. Obviously not a fix but at least lets you drive yourself to a repair place or wherever you need to be!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2004 about 2 years ago, I removed the wafers as mentioned and all is well, it's a nice feature if you're warming up the engine and you gotta go back in the house after you locked the door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts