Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching this video

I'm wondering why he takes the axle out of the wheel hub. It seems to me that you unbolt the strut from the hub and then remove it without taking the axle out. Or do you need the clearance to get the strut out?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Remove front struts by unbolting the 2 large strut bolts after loosening the 3 upper nuts. Depending upon how rusty the SB end links nuts are prepare for a new pair. Protect and do not damage the axle boots.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove front struts by unbolting the 2 large strut bolts after loosening the 3 upper nuts. Depending upon how rusty the SB end links nuts are prepare for a new pair. Protect and do not damage the axle boots.
So there's no need to take the axle out of the hub?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Removing SB link could be pita. Honda likes Allen nuts. Sigh. A 20 minute job could become hours.

I hope not, I'll be replacing the sway bars also. The video it didn't look that difficult. The plan is replace the SB, tie rods, struts and lower control arms.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I hope not, I'll be replacing the sway bars also. The video it didn't look that difficult. The plan is replace the SB, tie rods, struts and lower control arms.
Generally the SB doesn’t need replacement....unless you’ve been jumping curbs. Be sure to check out other videos on replacing struts for tips you might need.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Generally the SB doesn’t need replacement....unless you’ve been jumping curbs.
Right, usually replacing just the sway bar bushings will suffice.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Just like rotors. Sway bars?

Replace them, whether they need it or not! LOL

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll echo what others are saying about the end links. They are a PITA. Cut them off with a sawzall or angle grinder if you can't break all 4 nuts in the first 15 minutes. It's not worth it.

Pick up a new pair at Advance and be happy you replaced your end links too :)

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Why do people replace the lower control arms if not bent?

Is it for the new bushings that overwise are not readily replaceable?
I don't know, asking for learning purposes.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
For not too much more money new LCA come with new bushings and ball joints pressed in ready to install.
TY, that's why I was asking as I did not know, haven't done this- yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll echo what others are saying about the end links. They are a PITA. Cut them off with a sawzall or angle grinder if you can't break all 4 nuts in the first 15 minutes. It's not worth it.

Pick up a new pair at Advance and be happy you replaced your end links too :)

--Chris N.
Ive seen a video where he used a cutting wheel in a dremel. He cut the nut and then split it.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
425 Posts
I would remove the axle for one reason. Overextension. When I replaced the struts on my CL, I overextended the axles, and pulled the actual CV joint apart. Had to replace both axles. Maybe the Pilot gives more room, so you don't have to worry about doing that. I have not replaced the struts, so cannot comment with authority.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I would remove the axle for one reason. Overextension. When I replaced the struts on my CL, I overextended the axles, and pulled the actual CV joint apart. Had to replace both axles. Maybe the Pilot gives more room, so you don't have to worry about doing that. I have not replaced the struts, so cannot comment with authority.
When replacing struts on the Pilot overextension of the axle is possible and should be avoided.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the sway bar link there will be a hole for an allen wrench to keep the sway bar bolt from spinning. Use that with a box end wrench to get them off.

When you are replacing the sway bar links use Moog links. They have a nut under the ball that makes it soooooo much easier to tighten and then later remove them when they wear out. And the price is not that much more.

Keep a jack under the wheel assembly to prevent over extending the axle.

Have Fun!
Gill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts