Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2003 Pilot with close to 190k miles on it, own it from day one. Monday night, I started the vehicle and surprisingly, the engine sounded like it rev up to a very high RPM in one instance with vehicle in P. Afterwards, I key off and key back on, \it seems to start normal and drive normal.

Use the car again on Tuesday and start feeling vehicle feels more sluggish and more vibration from the front of the car and underneath.. Check Engine light comes on and VTM-4 light comes on as well. When accelerating, the check engine light would blink at times.

I just checked the code and I have a slew of misfire code: P0301, P0302, P0304, P0305, P0300 and one pending P1399.

I am going to take a look and see what may be going on the next few days. I like to check if others may have experienced something similar and can provide me some pointers on where to even start on something like this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Martin

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Has the valve clearance ever been checked/adjusted?
Have the spark plugs ever been replaced?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts
Vacuum leaks? Cracked engine air intake tube?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That would give me something to look at. I have timing belt changed by the dealership back in 95K miles and probably need to take a look at service record and see if spark plugs were changed back then.

I could be thinking wrong and please correct. Since the code points to 4 cylinder (1, 2, 4, 5) misfires, it seems to be something more common feeding these codes. Its unlikely all spark plugs go bad at the same time.

Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has the valve clearance ever been checked/adjusted?
Have the spark plugs ever been replaced?
Regarding "valve clearance ever been checked/adjusted?", I don't recall that was ever done. Is that EGR valve you are referring to?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Is that EGR valve you are referring to?
No, but replacing that, or at least cleaning it and the EGR passages and ports, along with replacing the little PCV valve could very well help if it's never been done. There are other potential causes to look at, but these are relatively easier and easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
If I owned an 03, with the intention of keeping it for another 100k+, I'd be proactive and replace most maintenance items. Spark plugs, PCV valve, EGR valve. It likely needs a valve cover gasket set with grommets and spark plug tube seals to make sure the tubes remain oil free. Order an intake manifold gasket set. It's a good time to check and adjust valve clearance. Make sure all coils are firing. And yes, as mentioned, inspect the intake hose for cracks and the air filter box is sealed properly, assuming that the air filter has been changed.
I'd also celebrate because a 2003 Pilot can now upgrade to the new NGK Ruthenium HX spark plugs!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
960 Posts
Plplplpl has probably called out your problem. Clogged EGR system will set multiple misfire codes, and also shut off the VTM system and activate the light. The comment about a cracked air intake tube also sounds possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,

I got a chance to look underneath the hood earlier this afternoon. It looks like the air intake from filter to engine looks good. See below. With the engine cover removed, I noticed that the ground strap between the engine and chassis is broken and I for now hand twisted the ground wires back together (See below) and twist on an electrical connector over it.

Could a broken ground cable explain the multiple misfires code I am seeing?

Martin

·
Registered
9,299 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, but replacing that, or at least cleaning it and the EGR passages and ports, along with replacing the little PCV valve could very well help if it's never been done. There are other potential causes to look at, but these are relatively easier and easier on the wallet.

Thanks.

Do you know how much dealership would charge for cleaning EGR passages and ports + PCV valve clearing or replacement? Is that part of some engine tune up package or separate? It may be a little adventurous for my skill level and worry about getting in and messing things up and cannot get this whole thing torque back properly or gasket issue.

Martin

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Thanks.

Do you know how much dealership would charge for cleaning EGR passages and ports + PCV valve clearing or replacement? Is that part of some engine tune up package or separate? It may be a little adventurous for my skill level and worry about getting in and messing things up and cannot get this whole thing torque back properly or gasket issue.

Martin
A dealership would no doubt charge you a pretty penny, so it's preferable to have it done by a trusted independent mechanic. They don't necessarily need to be specialized in Hondas, just competent and trustworthy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts