Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier today I left my '03 Pilot with 224,000 miles running with the ac on while inside a business (girlfriend in car) for about 30 minutes or so and when I came out it had stopped running shortly before I got back. I started it and it ran real rough for a moment and then quit again. The engine warning light was on as well as the VTM-4 light. Temperature gauge showed normal. Gave it a minute and restarted it and it ran rough but quickly got better. Let it idle for a bit and drove away and it was fine. Checked for codes when I got home and it showed misfires on cylinders 1,2,4, and 6 (codes P0301, etc.). I cleared the codes and they haven't come back and I drove the car around for a while and everything was normal. First time anything like this has happened. I've owned the car for a little over a year and haven't checked the spark plugs yet. Does that seem a likely cause? Any suggestions? I did the triple transmission fluid change yesterday since it was pretty much black when I checked it so there may very well be some other maintenance due on it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Spark plugs would be a simple thing to check. Does it burn oil? My guess would be oil fouling of the spark plugs.

Do you know any of the maintenance history?

Reactions: FloridaMike67

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, Boom. It doesn't burn much oil at all, but if it's been ages since the plugs were changed I suppose it could have an effect. No maintenance history was provided with the car (I have a feeling I should do the timing belt to be safe). I probably should have started the thread after checking/replacing the plugs, but I was curious if there were any known issues.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Boom. It doesn't burn much oil at all, but if it's been ages since the plugs were changed I suppose it could have an effect. No maintenance history was provided with the car (I have a feeling I should do the timing belt to be safe). I probably should have started the thread after checking/replacing the plugs, but I was curious if there were any known issues.
If you have 224k with no maintenance history, the first thing I would do is go to Carfax.com, sign up for a free account, then input the VIN into "My Car Maintenance" and see what comes up on previously recorded maintenance.

If you have no proof of a timing belt change, then that would be the FIRST thing I would be doing. Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, idler and tensioner pulleys, idler and tensioner pulley bolts, water pump, coolant, and serpentine drive belt. If it snaps, you are getting a new engine or walking away from the car.

Then spark plugs, NGK 4363 (PZFR5F11) platinum which is the OEM plug, or NGK 2477 (ZFR5FIX-11) laser iridium. And never buy spark plugs from Amazon, get them from Rock Auto and use the Piloteers discount code on every order.

I'd swap out the PCV to make sure its not clogged, clean out the EGR passages, engine and cabin filters, power steering and brake fluid replacements.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If this happens again, check for P0401 code. EGR flow insuffient. This is due to carbon clogged passages in the EGR system, and this will cause random misfires and also turn off the VTM4 system. Common problem in high mileage Pilots. Solution is to clean out the EGR passages. On the 2003, take off the top plastic engine cover. The EGR passages are under the aluminum access plate on the top center of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Earlier today I left my '03 Pilot with 224,000 miles running with the ac on while inside a business (girlfriend in car) for about 30 minutes or so and when I came out it had stopped running shortly before I got back. [...] Does that seem a likely cause?
Yes. The first thing you should do is ask her,"What did you touch?!" ?

:)

Seriously, though, once that's settled go with the sound advice above. One easier thing to do right away is check if plugs are fouled and torqued to spec. They have a habit of occasionally loosening and even backing out. But do go though everything mentioned above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your valuable input, everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide it.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,634 Posts
Two other things you might check are the battery and alternator. If the alternator isn’t putting out sufficient voltage to charge the battery, idling for 30 minutes may have drained the battery to the point where abnormal electrical events start to occur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two other things you might check are the battery and alternator. If the alternator isn’t putting out sufficient voltage to charge the battery, idling for 30 minutes may have drained the battery to the point where abnormal electrical events start to occur.
Thanks, road2cycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts