Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents got an MDX with the Touring package and DVD for $1800 under MSRP. I love my Pilot, but I'm still jealous. For an extra $6000, you get SO much more. I'll post my driving impression when I can drive it without my Mom in the car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi, nice pics.. I know the MDX is more luxurious and more money, but how much more do you get for six grand?

rob

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great pics of them side-by-side.
I think the MDX looks like an angle-y Pilot.
I sort of like the straighter lines of the PILOT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have to agree with you, havasu. I STILL like the Pilot better. Maybe the rear end of the MDX would get my vote for better looks, but otherwise...I'll keep my Pilot! :4:

BTW Ferdball - Nice pics!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great Pics :)

I've compared the MDX and the Pilot side by side several times. As far as looks go, the MDX is a prettier car, but it appears less masculine then the Pilot imho.

If the 2 SUVs came comparably equipped for the same money, I would have a hard time chosing, but I think I would choose the Pilot, mainly because of the extra storage, and 8 passenger seating.

We all had the opportunity to purchase the base '02 MDX for $35,200 vs the 03 Pilot EXL for $31,000. Now what do you get for the extra $4200? Sun roof (value $1000), heated seats and mirrors and a trip computer.

I have heated seats in my MIllenia and never use them. I would like the Sun roof, but could live without it, the trip computer could come in handy, but is not a necessity, as stated in other threads, heated mirrors are necessary and I feel Honda let us Pilot owners down by not including this option.

The '03 MDX has some added value, mainly because of the VSC option, the 20 hp increase also adds some value(it wasn't really needed tho) and the drive by wire thingamajig might be ok, but I'm not sure what value that adds. Of course Honda upped the price of the base to $36,200 and has restricted the NAV option to the touring model. So now, we are at a $5200 difference in price. If you want NAV then the price difference is $8000!

Also, lets not forget the required premium fuel for the MDX and the more expensive insurance for this Luxury SUV.

So Ferdball, You have nothing to be jealous about. The Pilot is absolutely the best bang for the buck in the whole auto industry right now. The MDX is just a dressed up version of the same vehicle for a lot more money. Be happy :2:

·
Registered
36 Posts

The MDX is just a dressed up version of the same vehicle for a lot more money. Be happy :2: [/B]

I always though that the Pilot was a dressed-down version of the MDX, since the MDX came out way before the Pilot?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I always though that the Pilot was a dressed-down version of the MDX, since the MDX came out way before the Pilot?
I guess it all depends on how you look at it...:D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
WHat do your parents need the extra HP for?

I see an engne swap comming!
:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Utility

I think you need to emphasize Utility in SUV for the Pilot and luxury in the MDX and some of the others. It's a bit noiser, lower end sound, fewer other features but I've come to realize it's a basic 30K utility vehicle. If you udscale a few grand you get the higher end stuff, if you want it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That MDX looks downright tiny beside the Pilot !:2:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Steve,
You're thinking too hard. It was a joke.:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: WHat do your parents need the extra HP for?

N_Jay said:
I see an engne swap coming!
I've wondered about two things:
1. Is the extra HP available just bacause of the recommended octane?
2. Is the Pilot built from the same unit body that the 2003 MDX (35% increased rigidity) is built on?

PS. I wonder if they'll notice their moonroof missing...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Did you know?

The Pilot was actually suppose to be an Acura and the MDX was suppose to be Honda's.
A local Honda GM here used to work at HOA corporate. Apparantly, there is a little internal competition between Acura and Honda (understandable) and Honda had just gotten the S2000 design and was about to get what is the MDX body as a replacement for the Passport.
The Acura version was to come later as a bigger, more luxurious version. Someone at Acura won the debate about Honda getting all the goodies while Acura was left with a rebadged Isuzu Trooper and nose-diving sales.

So they lux-ed up the Honda version and called it MDX then de-luxed the Honda version and called it Pilot.

Makes alot of sense if you think about it and explains why some virtues of the Piolt are 'better' than the MDX.

Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What can I get for a dollar?

Here's a list of differences off the top of my head that you get for several thousand more. As you guys mentioned, its a matter of preference. The Pilot does show great value. The biggest items on this list that I wish the Pilot had are VSA and the Bose sound.

MDX Diffs
VSA
Drive-by-wire
Rigidity/suspension?
260 HP
Tilt down side view mirror in reverse
Trip/compass/mileage computer
Heated seats
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Programmable memory seats and mirrors
Key fob seat memory assignment
Moonroof
Roof racks
17" wheels and Michelin Cross Terrain tires
Bose sound (Dolby Digital movies sound great!)
CD changer
Auto headlights
Auto windshield wipers
Fog lights
4yr 48,000mi warranty
Roadside Assistance w/Loaner

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I wanted the MDX, wife wanted the Pilot. We now have a Pilot.:(

·
Registered
162 Posts
Scoobs--

Same situation in our house. My husband wanted the MDX and I wanted the Pilot and now we have the Pilot. Having said that, he absolutely loves the Pilot and is glad the we got it. :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yes, money in my pocket. And I don't have to buy premium so I'm saving money there as well. I'm not complaining about the Pilot as I really like it but I've still got an MDX in my sights as a replacement for my van when my van bites the dust. Unfortunately this van just refuses to die and as long as it keeps going I can't justify replacing it.
My wife didn't like the raked windows and rear end of the MDX and she said it didn't look as much like a truck as the Pilot did. She preferred the headroom in the Pilot and also said that she found the dash in the Pilot nicer than that of the MDX. The storage in the center console was also a selling feature for her. I tend not to leave stuff lying around in the vehicle so it wasn't as much of an issue for me. The bottom line was that she would be the one driving it 90 % of the time so she got the final say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts