Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 pilot and currently am down to one key and no fobs. I am not worried about the fobs, as I can purchase and program them myself. My concern is the keys on most pilots have a transponder key chip in them that must be programmed, with that said, I also have seen in places that because the '03 was the inaugural year, the chips were not in them already and did not get integrated in until later in the model year as advancements started. The dealer made out that is not the case, but is that the truth or just a way to charge more?

The vehicle only has 50k on it and I plan on keeping it for a while, so I'd like to get two more keys made and three fobs. I just want to make sure what the dealer is saying isn't just a money grab.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
The transponder can be transferred from fob to fob. Just be sure to secure it well. If you turn your Pilot on and see the green key on your dash you likely have the immobilizer. Also check your owners manual (available on Honda’s site if you don’t have the paper version) to verify.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I believe longtime member @xGS has a 2003. Perhaps he can say. That @xGS forum auto link feature may act as a sort of bat-signal to summon him. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I drive a 2003, and it has the immobilizer. I'm fairly certain that the chip is in the key itself.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I believe longtime member @xGS has a 2003. Perhaps he can say. That @xGS forum auto link feature may act as a sort of bat-signal to summon him. :)
As with so many other Pilot related matters, the owner's manual is your friend.

It states:
"Your vehicle comes with two master keys and a valet key.
These keys contain electronic circuits that are activated by the Immobilizer System.
The keys do not contain batteries. Do not try to take them apart.
A properly coded master or valet key must be used in the ignition switch for the engine to start.
If an improperly coded key (or other device) is used, the engine’s fuel system is disabled.

You should have received a key number plate with your keys.
You will need this key number if you ever have to get a lost key replaced.
Keep the plate stored in a safe place.
If you need to replace a key, use only Honda-approved key blanks."

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
It looks like the key and fob didn’t get integrated into a single until 2005. Ignore my comment above regarding the transponder being swappable from fob to fob for the 2003 (and 2004) Pilot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had 2 keys made and programmed from a locksmith for 75 for 04 Honda pilot. Cheaper than dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you get the keys from? Yeah the dealer by the time its all said and done gets close to 150 to 200 dollars for one if they can't read the old key.

Is the code for the radio the same code for the keys?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in Ohio but call around to locksmith tell them you need 2 keys made most can do. My radio code was on little card in owners manual. If that is lost will have to go to dealership with proof of ownership of vehicle to get. Not sure how locksmith programs the keys but both my keys open doors and start the vehicle. Mine does have transponder type.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I am in Ohio but call around to locksmith tell them you need 2 keys made most can do. My radio code was on little card in owners manual. If that is lost will have to go to dealership with proof of ownership of vehicle to get. Not sure how locksmith programs the keys but both my keys open doors and start the vehicle. Mine does have transponder type.

All you were missing was the security chip to allow the pilot to start your fobs were already programmed to the pilot as soon as the locksmith installed the chips you were good to go .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts