Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2003 silver LX Pilot with cloth on June 26th but still haven't taken delivery because the dealer didn't have what I wanted (or anything even close) on the lot. He promised that he'd be able to find it within a week or two. Last time I checked they hadn't really gotten started with the search because they were busy with month end stuff. Has any one else asked a dealer to locate a particular model recently? I'm concerned that since it is so close to the end of the model year that they won't be able to find what I want. If I wasn't planning a trip in two weeks, I'd just wait for the 2004s. Any idea when they are supposed to be available and how much the mark up is going to be? Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilotadmirer said:
I purchased a 2003 silver LX Pilot with cloth on June 26th but still haven't taken delivery because the dealer didn't have what I wanted (or anything even close) on the lot. He promised that he'd be able to find it within a week or two. Last time I checked they hadn't really gotten started with the search because they were busy with month end stuff. Has any one else asked a dealer to locate a particular model recently? I'm concerned that since it is so close to the end of the model year that they won't be able to find what I want. If I wasn't planning a trip in two weeks, I'd just wait for the 2004s. Any idea when they are supposed to be available and how much the mark up is going to be? Thanks. :confused:
Oops. You purchased a car the dealer did not have.

Now you have to wait till he gets time to find it.

I would get a date, and if the date is not suitable, cancel the contract. You have not taken delivery of the vehicle, so I would doubt he can hold you to the contract.

Seems he was "selling" something he did not own yet! :D

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Re: 2003 Inventory

N_Jay said:

Seems he was "selling" something he did not own yet! :D
Isn't that known as selling <i>vapor-Pilot</i>? :2:

We bought ours off of an incoming inventory list - so the wait with a little less uncertainty because we were given a target date, and it actually arrived a day or so earlier. If I were you, I'd put that salesman's phone number on speed-dial and use it often.

"End of the month stuff" isn't a good enough excuse for me. Basically, now that has your signature, his strive for good customer service appears to have waivered. Best way to fix that is to bug the hell out of him with phone calls, or do what <b>N_Jay</b> says and can the deal.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The dreaded wait...

Sorry this is so lengthy..
We're awaiting ours too. Since you can't order a Pilot, and we wanted NHBP with Navi that the dealer didn't have, they (dealer) had to do a couple of dealer trades to get the one we wanted. The whole process is kind of scary. We're getting a really good deal on ours (amazed we could since we're not buying one "off the lot"), so the wait as painful as it is, will be worth it. The thing that "seals the deal" from what we've been told, is the paperwork that you sign must have a VIN # on it. Without a VIN, they really didn't sell you anything. You should be able to call off the deal (take the contract with you when you walk out the door) and look elsewhere. If you can get an Order # and sign preliminary paperwork (purchase price agreement, deposit etc), it's much easier on the nerves.
Since dealers aren't gung ho on trading Pilots (why would they if they can sell their stock for maximum profit?), it may be longer than you're willing to wait. Ours doesn't even have a build date until July 30th (delivery around the second week in August). We have an order # (we'll get the VIN as soon as it rolls off the assembly line). The one thing we've been cautioned about in our situation is the fact that if the dealer wanted to sell the car to someone who's willing to pay top dollar for it, he could since we don't have the VIN #. However, in our situation we're lucky enough to have the owner of the dealership involved who's put our worries to rest in writing.
The one thing that I would suggest you do regardless is look up the thread on Pre-Delivery Inspection and print a copy to take with you. We're planning on at least an hour to inspect the vehicle before signing the final paperwork. If there are any items that aren't up to par, we're going to have them address them "before" we sign on the dotted line. Once you leave the lot, that "great dealership experience" can turn bad if you want something after the sale. If you feel good about the deal, hang in there... I feel your pain. If you don't, cancel the deal and find a dealer that can give you a VIN # and a delivery date. Oh yeah, I believe the dealers are going to be able and start giving Honda America orders (requests) for 2004s on August 15th. As far as the price increase, I don't think it will be much higher than the '03s. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was really lucky in my Pilot purchase. I called the dealer on a weekend just checking around for inventory and found a responsive sales person telling me a Sage Brush was due on Monday to be delivered. That Monday I called the GM and negotiated the the Pilot knowing in advance he had product due to be dropped any hour. It actually was manufactured 6/24/03. Closed the deal before any one else could move on it. It did not hurt that it was the end of the month either. It was a win win for both parties!

·
Registered
145 Posts
For us, the dealer had committed one that was coming in to s customer that never came to leave a deposit. It was exactly the one we wanted, so (after waiting on the other person for a week), they sold it to us. It is a good point that <b>rtrypilot</b> makes about the VIN. The dealer showed us the sheet that they get from Honda with a list of all the cars that are coming, including the VIN.

--Bret

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I think I was lucky. I only waited about 3 weeks. But I told the salesman what I wanted, and I wasn't going to settle because he wasn't dealing. I gave him a deposit ($1000) and six weeks to find the car. I wasn't going to compromise for a month or two wait on a car I'm going to live with for 8-10 years. They found the car in Danbury, CT and shuttled it to Long Island (it had 122 mi. on it.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think we were lucky with ours.... We picked our Pilot up on 6/29, and had placed our "order" three weeks prior. He didn't have it on his incoming list, but was able to get it from another dealer in TX (we live in NY). It all worked out great and we love our new Pilot! :2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pilotadmirer said:
Yeah! I just heard from the dealer. My pilot is supposed to be here by the end of the week (and it is an EX, not an LX). I'm soooo excited. I'll keep you posted as to if it actually gets here and if I'm as happy with it as I think I'm going to be. The only add-on I got was the cargo cover. Is there anything else that you think I'll be sorry if I don't get? :5: :5:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would suggest that you inspect the vehicle in more than one lighting. I bought a Silver EX-L and inspected the paint carefully. A few days later I noticed blotchy areas in serveral places. When the light hits it right, it is plain as day. In other light it is invisible. The hood and driver door are the worst.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts