Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm posting this to the right place. Also, please forgive me for being pretty dumb about cars.

My 2003 Honda Pilot started having an issue two days ago where it wouldn't start. I thought maybe it was the battery, jumped the battery, and it worked fine. The next morning I had the same problem and so called in to work to stay home and look at it. What I've been able to find online is that the problem could be the battery, the alternator, or the starter, but none of them seem to line up perfectly with my problem.

Battery. Original manufacturer's battery (so 2003). I would like to think this is the problem, however, I took it out and tested it with a multimeter and it's giving off 12.61 volts, which I read a fully charged battery should put off 12.6 or higher. Additionally, it did not reset the radio, which usually happens when I kill the battery by leaving the lights on (which I didn't do in this case). Also, the lights were able to be turned on and the dashboard indicators lit up when I turned the key to the on position. It still may be a battery issue though.

Alternator. Although I couldn't get to it easily, I read that if that was bad, my headlights will dim, which they didn't after 10 minutes at idle or my hour drive in to work.

Starter. I've been able to jump my car twice and it was also able to start on its own so I don't believe that to be the case.

So this morning, I found that if I try to start it right away, it will just click, like it does for a dead battery. But if I leave it in the on position for a while before starting it, it will turn over a few times. The longer I waited, the more times it would turn over until it was finally able to start. So, is it possibly a connecting between the battery and the alternator, or could it be the battery itself? I'm kinda broke so I don't want to spend money on something that won't fix the problem. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of a factory battery lasting 13+ years. Even if it doesn't end up solving the problem you're seeing, I wouldn't hesitate to replace a battery that old to eliminate it as the cause.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My Nissan OEM battery lasted 10 years. 13 is stretching it.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
My 2003 Honda Pilot started having an issue two days ago where it wouldn't start. I thought maybe it was the battery, jumped the battery, and it worked fine. The next morning I had the same problem and so called in to work to stay home and look at it. What I've been able to find online is that the problem could be the battery, the alternator, or the starter, but none of them seem to line up perfectly with my problem.

Battery. Original manufacturer's battery (so 2003). I would like to think this is the problem, however, I took it out and tested it with a multimeter and it's giving off 12.61 volts, which I read a fully charged battery should put off 12.6 or higher. Additionally, it did not reset the radio, which usually happens when I kill the battery by leaving the lights on (which I didn't do in this case). Also, the lights were able to be turned on and the dashboard indicators lit up when I turned the key to the on position. It still may be a battery issue though.
Have you owned the Pilot since new so you know the battery is original?
Or could a previous owner have had the battery replaced by a Honda dealer with one that looks original but is much newer?

Does the car start right up when you jump start it?

Does trying to start with the transmission in neutral make any difference?

How many miles are on it?

Alternator. Although I couldn't get to it easily, I read that if that was bad, my headlights will dim, which they didn't after 10 minutes at idle or my hour drive in to work.
Alternator test:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the battery and let it sit overnight to see how it started. It's working great again, thank you all for the replies. Well, lesson learned, test the battery under load. I'm really just surprised that the battery indicator on the dash didn't come on or anything. Oh well, this car is still the greatest I've ever known, so I'll stick with Pilots for the foreseeable future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts