Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2003 Honda Pilot Rear Tailgate Stuck Latched

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
I have searched and did not find a solution. I think someone messed around with it trying to break in.

When I pull on outside latch handle, it won't grab and release the latch.

Inside, I do have the very small hole in the plastic cover removed, and have tried to dig around to get the latch manually opened.

I have been digging around here youtube and have not found the trick to getting fingers or tools in the round opening and where I should be pushing or pulling.

Thanks

See less See more
#8 ·
My 05 lock got cranky one time. I hope you can release it, and even more hope it's as simple a solution as mine was. And yes there are a an entire line of plastic screws alongside the latch to release the tailgate trim.

in my instance the bolts holding the latch came loose so it either failed to latch or failed to unlatch.

On vacation of course, which provided a perfect excuse to get more tools....

The latch itself is help in position with two bolts. If they loosen the latch goes out of alignment alignment. Removing the trim around the latch released one loose bolt and the other hanging on for dear life. A simple but space limited repair.

#10 ·
If you can get at the screws like this, it's easier.

Removing liftgate panel on inside???

Here's how I did it (with pics):

Rattle/Squeak from rear of hatch

If you do need to remove the rear liftgate (hatch) trim, here's how.

And if you end up having to replace the latch itself, this should help, too.

The attached document should help as well.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.