Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Honda Pilot started overheating and the temperature on my dash is fluctuating. I don't know what it is. The coolant is full no leaks, the lower hose is colder than the upper hose, the water pump was replaced about 5000 miles ago and the fans are running properly. I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I opened the radiator cap and there was some white steam/smoke coming out when the engine was hot. is that Normal? How do I fix this? the car has been sitting for a month too if that helps.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My 2003 Honda Pilot started overheating and the temperature on my dash is fluctuating. I don't know what it is. The coolant is full no leaks, the lower hose is colder than the upper hose, the water pump was replaced about 5000 miles ago and the fans are running properly. I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I opened the radiator cap and there was some white steam/smoke coming out when the engine was hot. is that Normal? How do I fix this? the car has been sitting for a month too if that helps.
Simple take it to a mechanic or have someone that knows how to check it for you. never open a cap when it's hot your asking for trouble.
I would also lean towards the T-stat like Gordo states.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How can I verify this? Also people are saying that my head gasket may be bad but if that's the case, wouldn't there be excessive smike/steam from the rear end?
When you have a head gasket leak you would see a trace of white smoke out the back .. you could also get a pressure test kit to check.
most auto parts store offer this kit to rent and check to see if the gaskets are blown.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I verify this? Also people are saying that my head gasket may be bad but if that's the case, wouldn't there be excessive smike/steam from the rear end?
When you have a head gasket leak you would see a trace of white smoke out the back .. you could also get a pressure test kit to check.
most auto parts store offer this kit to rent and check to see if the gaskets are blown.
Luckily my exhaust has no white smoke. So that's good. Is it hard to change the thermostat? I have a fair level of diy experience.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Luckily my exhaust has no white smoke. So that's good. Is it hard to change the thermostat? I have a fair level of diy experience.
Nope not at all if your handy with a wrench you will be fine . If your planning to keep the Pilot for a long time if you can go for an OEM one they are much cheaper getting them online. Do not purchase any generic coolant stay with the Honda coolant... Look on the pilot forums for the service manual and I think there was a How to DYI out there also ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope not at all if your handy with a wrench you will be fine . If your planning to keep the Pilot for a long time if you can go for an OEM one they are much cheaper getting them online. Do not purchase any generic coolant stay with the Honda coolant... Look on the pilot forums for the service manual and I think there was a How to DYI out there also ..
I ordered a decent one from Rockauto because I trust their website. I am decent with a wrench :grin: . Also I think the last guy who did it used a generic cheap one. Thanks for the help Everyone!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Just be prepared to capture about a quart of coolant when you remove the thermostat. I had drained the radiator and the Pilot was on level ground when I removed the thermostat not expecting much coolant to be there. I was wrong. 😬 I’m not sure if draining the engine block first would have made a difference. Hopefully someone who has drained the block will chime in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just be prepared to capture about a quart of coolant when you remove the thermostat. I had drained the radiator and the Pilot was on level ground when I removed the thermostat not expecting much coolant to be there. I was wrong. 😬 I’m not sure if draining the engine block first would have made a difference. Hopefully someone who has drained the block will chime in.
Since my splash guard is missing, I'll hope to catch whatever falls with a catch pan and make up the deficit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts