Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!
I have a 2003 Honda Pilot with 147K miles on it.
Just changed the "Rear Main Seal" oil leak.
Put silicon on the oil pan (because there was oil around the pan) all this done by a mechanic. The pan war removed!

There's still oil around the pan. The mechanic said it could be one of the seals (Camshaft and Crankshaft).
The mechanic called me and showed me the seals are good but he's still going to change them.

We have no idea why there's oil around the oil pan (New oil pan plug too) he has checked for other leaks (none were found).

The oil is on top of the pan then goes to the side. The silicon seal looks good!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Why change seals if they are good? Do not let them rip you off. Remove the TB covers and see if there are any leaks there. If none, just switch to the high mileage oil and see how it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had already taken everything apart.
I bought the seals from my connect all 3 seals $6 total (Honda Seals)

He called me to show me. He said he didn't want me to think he didn't change the seals.
And it is we leaking.

$375 for labor.
I had my water pump and timing belt replaced not to long ago.

What's the TB covers?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
oil pump seal leaks in the same area

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my guess but literally no oil anywhere.
The oil pan on the passenger side has oil but there's no trail coming from anywhere

·
Registered
195 Posts
You mechanic should be able to clean it off with brakeclean or something similar, let it dry, and then run it on the lift and find the leak. Sometimes leaks are hard to pinpoint when cars are driven because the airflow makes the oil flow in odd directions. If it is on the passengers side I would check the oil pressure switch on the back passengers side of the engine.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
OK, you've got it open already so go with the options suggested above.

If none of that works, however, and your mystery leak isn't a geyser, throw in a bottle of AT-205 and drive for a hundred miles or so. For ten bucks, what've you got to lose (except less oil)?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=540427

Note: To qualify Scotty as hyperbolic is euphemistic, but he usually gives solid advice. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so similar problem. Except my honda has 225,000 miles on it considering selling it for 1000 as a mechanics special. Should I? Or am I making a desperate unwise move?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so similar problem. Except my honda has 225,000 miles on it considering selling it for 1000 as a mechanics special. Should I? Or am I making a desperate unwise move?
Do you have the money to buy a new car?
How much have you spent on the Pilot?

I'm determine to find out why there's oil around the oil pan.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That's only a band-aid ..you still need to find out what the root cause of the oil leak in the first place.

Just to clarify you did use the Honda sealant that is used to seal the pan ? Also the oil you are seeing is it seepage between the block and the pan?
if so swap the silicone and get the Honda stuff. Clean the pan really good and run it over with a light to look for cracks.. If this is going on the passenger side where you see oil on the pan itself , there is nothing over there except the Oil filter oil tube . Look into that next you may just have a leaking Oil filter tube they do come off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's only a band-aid ..you still need to find out what the root cause of the oil leak in the first place.

Just to clarify you did use the Honda sealant that is used to seal the pan ? Also the oil you are seeing is it seepage between the block and the pan?
if so swap the silicone and get the Honda stuff. Clean the pan really good and run it over with a light to look for cracks.. If this is going on the passenger side where you see oil on the pan itself , there is nothing over there except the Oil filter oil tube . Look into that next you may just have a leaking Oil filter tube they do come off.
A OEM silicone was used. No leaking oil filter.
I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow!
He said possibly the pan may need to be replaced.
He said what you said "Tiny cracks on the pan. Which create moisture when you run the car"

·
Registered
10 Posts
check the area around where the oil filter mounts. that spool valve assembly has its own gasket which can leak as the gasket hardens and develops cracks. I believe there is also another item in that same area mounting to the block that has its own seal that can also leak.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
He said possibly the pan may need to be replaced.
He said what you said "Tiny cracks on the pan. Which create moisture when you run the car"
If it is not dripping than leave it alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

After getting my seals replaced.

There's no leak around the oil pan anymore.
It's weird since the old seals were good and there was no oil around.

I will keep driving and then take it to the shop to get it check (free) so why not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Update:

After getting my seals replaced.

There's no leak around the oil pan anymore.
It's weird since the old seals were good and there was no oil around.

I will keep driving and then take it to the shop to get it check (free) so why not.
Which seals were replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which seals were replaced?
Camshaft and Crankshaft. The ones that go by the waterpump.

But now it's leaking from the rear main seal again.
The mechanic said it's most likely the cover around the rear main seal. Not the seals

He's not charging me for labor. Just the part $60 OEM.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Make sure your PCV valve isn’t stuck causing high crankcase pressure. If you have never changed it or if it has high miles on it I would replace it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts