Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I like to get some help with my 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L. I noticed the other day that something is dangling near the catalytic converter. On closer look, the heat shield is very rusty and part of it basically is about to fall off. A few years ago, I have noticed rattling noise due to the rusting and put in a temporary fix with hose clamps as seen on youtube. That lasted a few years. I have no code nor MIL light and the vehicle is running fine.

Looking up on parts and keeping seeing the catalytic converter sell as a single piece which is over a thousand dollars new. Vehicle is approaching 190K miles and looking to see if someone has experiencing just replacing the heat shield and where to go about getting the part if the heat shield can be replaced without replacing the entire catalytic converter?

How much is the part and how easy/difficult it is to replace the heat shield?

Thanks.
Martin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Talk to a couple of muffler shops in your area. I'll bet they can weld an aftermarket shield into position or make a custom one for way less than a new cat.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My heat shields have been AWOL since 2012 and haven’t been missed. IMO there are more important maintenance issues to attend to to keep that Pilot rolling for another 100-200k more.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Unless you park on tall dry grass, it's not a big deal.

However, even though I had already bought my hose clamps, I eventually got it done along with some other things by a trusted mechanic, and untrue to form I didn't stick around that time to watch. He told me to keep my hose clamps because he was going to do it right once and for all. He did and it certainly didn't cost anywhere near what a new cat would have.

buzzing noise/ whining noise when accelerating

On a side note: Brand new, unused hose clamps for sale. Cheap OBO, you pay shipping. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking replacing the shield may help avoid the converter getting corroded by the nasty road salt here and there by avoid future expensive replacement cost for the converter itself...

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I like to get some help with my 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L. I noticed the other day that something is dangling near the catalytic converter. On closer look, the heat shield is very rusty and part of it basically is about to fall off. A few years ago, I have noticed rattling noise due to the rusting and put in a temporary fix with hose clamps as seen on youtube. That lasted a few years.

Looking up on parts and keeping seeing the catalytic converter sell as a single piece which is over a thousand dollars new. Vehicle is approaching 190K miles and looking to see if someone has experiencing just replacing the heat shield and where to go about getting the part if the heat shield can be replaced without replacing the entire catalytic converter?

How much is the part and how easy/difficult it is to replace the heat shield?
Looks like the various heat shields are all available as individual items:
Exhaust Pipe for 2003 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am thinking replacing the shield may help avoid the converter getting corroded by the nasty road salt here and there by avoid future expensive replacement cost for the converter itself...
That’s not the purpose of the CAT shields.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Really, as @plplplpl said, you got nothing to worry about unless you like to drive/park in the grass. I would bend it off and keep trucking. Save this one when your ready to replace your exhaust system because of an exhaust leak or catalytic converter failure.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
[QUOTE="xGS, post: 16492
Really, as @plplplpl said, you got nothing to worry about unless you like to drive/park in the grass. I would bend it off and keep trucking. Save this one when your ready to replace your exhaust system because of exhaust leak, catalytic converter failure.
Personally, I don't like to park on grass, but there have been some places I've gone where the parking lot is grass covered.

Nevertheless, the OP was trying to find out if the heat shields are available separately from the catalytic converter - and the answer is 'yes'.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Personally, I don't like to park on grass, but there have been some places I've gone where the parking lot is grass covered.

Nevertheless, the OP was trying to find out if the heat shields are available separately from the catalytic converter - and the answer is 'yes'.
Sorry, I didn't mean to quote you. 👍

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
231 Posts
On my previous couple of old Subarus, the heat shield always start to rust loose and then rattle horribly for months. I finally had a guy cut them off when they were under there doing other work. After that, things were quiet, but the passenger floorboard would get really warm on long drives, so I would think keeping the shield on there would be the better option.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

If the hose clamp solution has come to its end of life, then perhaps getting another factory heat shield will give you peace of mind, since it does seem to be available. I surmise that's what my guy ended up doing after all.
Eric The Car Guy videos. 🥇🏆

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help and additional links to the information.

I almost always park on paved driveway and only once in a while, if I go to a farm or orchard, I would park on grass. So, sounds like bottom heat shield helps prevent heat transfer to tall grass and top shield helps prevent transfer up to passenger area.

Thanks for the links to the heat shield. I will keep that in mind.

For now, I peeled off the rusted piece that is dangling (part of the bottom heat shield) so it doesn't fly off while driving. Its about the size of a palm. Will keep an eye on it. Right now, the hose clamps are still holding the rest of the pieces together.

Thanks,
Martin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts