Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 14 - The all-new 2003 Honda Pilot is the first mid-sized sport utility vehicle ever to earn the Federal government's top Five Star safety rating for the driver and front and rear seat passengers in both frontal and side impact crash tests, according to information released today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

WAY TO GO HONDA! :29:

MMM

·
Registered
78 Posts
where did you go to find out this information? I looked on the NHTSA website and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
never mind. just found it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is really good news! 5's all the way across!

Another reason I'm glad I didn't want the Highlander - fuel tank leaked after crash... That sounds very bad!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Why we don't have 8, 10, or 12 airbags;

Maybe Honda has substituted good engineering where others have just added more safety systems.

Just my guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It looks like the Pilot rollover test was not released.
The Acura MDX got a 4 for it.
Any info here or am I missing something.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, this is very welcome news indeed, especially on the heels of the Consumer Reports #1 rating. I printed out the article and can't wait to read it.

For some reason, I've been thinking about safety a lot lately. I know all along they were claiming this would meet 5 start standards, but until they actually confirmed through testing. I was just thinking the other day, when were we finally going to see the results and POOF - here they are!

The longer we are owning this Pilot, the happier, and happier I am becoming with our decision (even after making the first payment)!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hooray!!!!!

Goes to show what I have always believed. It is not always the # of airbags that you have, but the overall integrity of the vehicle and it's ability to absorb impact without it crushing into passenger space.

Interesting that one of the car magazines pointed out that maybe Honda was not at the forefront of safety engineering because they did not have more airbags. Seems Honda knows what they are doing after all.

Give me a Pilot anyday over a Kia with more airbags!

I never doubted it would do well, but nice to see the final numbers in black and white.

Safe Piloting to all!:cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
lower insurance rates ? I'm calling my insurance company to find out right now. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Why

They don't care about safety, they care about damage and repair costs.

OK, they do care about safety, but only where it relates to medical costs. The portion of your insurance that pays for ocupants medical costs is nothing compaired to the collision (Repair/replacement of your vehical) and Liability (Repair/replacement of others property, and financial risk of injuring others)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 14 - The all-new 2003 Honda Pilot is the first mid-sized sport utility vehicle ever to earn the Federal government's top Five Star safety rating for the driver and front and rear seat passengers in both frontal and side impact crash tests, according to information released today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The frontal and side crash tests are part of NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) that provides consumers with safety information on the two most common injury-causing crashes. In frontal tests, vehicles are crashed at 35 mph into a rigid, fixed barrier. The side crash is conducted with a moving, deformable barrier impacting the vehicle at an angle at 38.5 mph. Vehicles are given a rating from one to five stars, with five stars indicating the best level of crash protection.

All 2003 Pilot models feature advanced dual-stage, dual threshold driver and front passenger airbags which can deploy at two different rates, depending on the severity of the crash. In addition, if the occupant seat belt is not fastened, the airbags deploy at a lower collision speed to help offer more protection to the unbelted occupant.

All Pilot models tested also were equipped with Honda's advanced side airbag system, available on all 2003 Pilot models. the side airbags include a cutoff system to prevent the side airbag from deploying if a child or small statured adult is leaning into the side airbag deployment path.

The Pilot body was designed to deform progressively in both front and side collisions. Engineering the front, side and rear sections to help absorb the energy of a collision reduces the likelihood of occupant injury. The reinforcing structures enhance collision protection and provide the added strength for cargo carrying, off road performance and towing.

The 2003 Honda Pilot was designed, developed and manufactured by Honda R&D engineers in Ohio and California. It is built exclusively at Honda of Canada Manufacturing in Alliston, Ontario.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
.....All Pilot models tested also were equipped with Honda's advanced side airbag system, available on all 2004 Pilot models. the side airbags include a cutoff system to prevent the side airbag from deploying if a child or small statured adult is leaning into the side airbag deployment path......

2004 model?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Way to go :4:

I think this rating will make a difference in insurance rates.
I was initially looking at the Odyssey and got a quote of 757 p.a.
and for the unrated Pilot, it was 1225 p.a. Damage and repair costs
for the two are nearly same, IMO safety rating matters.

Time to look for better rates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I seem to remember my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) telling me that they would re-adjust my premium when the Pilot actually got tested. They told me that usually, you rate goes down. And with 5 stars, I don't see how it can do anything else.

·
Registered
206 Posts
bgeraldo said:
I seem to remember my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) telling me that they would re-adjust my premium when the Pilot actually got tested. They told me that usually, you rate goes down. And with 5 stars, I don't see how it can do anything else.
My husband, an insurance agent, says, "Yeah, when the companies get around to adjusting the rates...". Let's hope that means "soon.":rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
macbethderham is right. I called my insurance company(AIG) today and they said that it may take a year for them to adjust their rates with respect to any tests/ratings being released right now. The person I spoke with got very defensive when I ask why it would take so long. They are just after the money and don't care a damn about any of us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts