Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Pilot with 165,000. Did a combustion test and it the head gasket needs to be replaced. Also has white sludge under the oil cap. Thinking it is not worth having the shop fix it with a couple of estimates of $1800-$2500.

Looking for suggestions on what you folks would do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
What condition is the vehicle in otherwise? You should check for rear suspension bolt rust, since it's a 2003 in Michigan. That issue is repairable, but not easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used Steel Seal on my 06 Pilot with a blown head gasket. Worked wonders. Still holding strong a year later. I had to do the warm-up/cool down procedure five times before all the white smoke was gone. I highly recommend this stuff. It's amazing. A bit pricey, but it works! And you can leave it in your cooling system, which is a bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Seal/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_8880330011?ie=UTF8&node=8880330011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Steel+Seal

Note: VTM-4 is just a sympathy indication of the engine related codes. You can clear it by shutting the engine off while still in "Drive"

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Note: VTM-4 is just a sympathy indication of the engine related codes. You can clear it by shutting the engine off while still in "Drive"
Wait, what? What is this wizardry you speak of? Is this in lieu of clearing it with an OBD-II app like Torque or a bona fide replacement for having to get it cleared via a dealer's HDS?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, strictly for the VTM 4 advisory caution, you can get rid of it by shutting the vehicle off while stopped, and in "drive". I read that somewhere on here and it worked every time for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts