Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on what I’ve been reading here and elsewhere on the Internet, it is not uncommon for the first generation pilots to have some issues with the security system. I tried to read the various threads on the forum here and looked at some of the answers on the paid support sites that other people have asked. I believe I have tried all of the diagnostic steps but I would like someone who is familiar with the problem to double check me and see if there is anything I might have missed.

Known History: When I bought the Pilot, our friend had not used the key fob in a long time. They believed it to be broken, had lost or broke the other one earlier, and were just using the door plungers or the door switches to lock and the key to unlock. The front passenger door actuator had failed so that door was always a “plunger” lock effort when exiting the vehicle. They had also had the ignition switch replaced a while back so the ignition and the doors use different keys.

Since I purchased the vehicle, I replaced the battery in the key fob and it was capable of locking and unlocking the doors but it only worked for about one week and then it quit. I cracked it open, looked at the circuit board and saw what looked like a puff of dust trailing away from one of the small elements on the board which means probably it blew a capacitor. I was lucky enough to find a key fob in a 2004 Pilot at the local pull-a-part yard and was able to program it to work with our Pilot.

I pulled the door actuator from the donor Pilot, but when I got home I discovered there was a change to the actuators between 2003 and 2004 and the plugs do not fit correctly. Accepting that I had lost that battle, I went to Advance auto parts and bought a new actuator.

At that point, I could lock all the doors with the key fob, but the parking lights did not flash and the drivers door security light stayed off. A second press within 5 seconds did not change the outcome. I could unlock all the doors, the first press unlocked the driver’s door only and the second unlocked all other doors. The parking lights do flash on unlock.

Having replaced everything that I knew of that might be related to the alarm system, I began troubleshooting. The Immobilizer light comes on when the ignition switch goes to II. It also blinks several times when the switch is turned back to 0.

As recommended in other threads, I’ve verified that the door plungers and the door actuators all function to lock and unlock their respective doors. The front doors and the rear hatch can all be locked and unlocked with the door key or the key fob.

I’ve read that the hood switch is often the culprit so I jumpered the hood switch wire but that did not change the condition.

I read in the manual that having multiple Immobilizer keys near the ignition switch can have an impact, so I removed the door key from the key ring. The result is the same.

I’ve looked and there doesn’t appear to be a fuse associated only with the alarm.

I’ve exhausted everything I have found. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Steve

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
If it’s the Karr alarm system I believe there is an inline fuse on the power wire.

Have you checked to make sure the ground wire is well connected to the chassis?

Have you verified all the T-taps are well connected to the factory wiring harness? Those t-taps are rough on the wiring they splice into. And is the spade well connected to each t-tap?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it’s the Karr alarm system I believe there is an inline fuse on the power wire.

Have you checked to make sure the ground wire is well connected to the chassis?

Have you verified all the T-taps are well connected to the factory wiring harness? Those t-taps are rough on the wiring they splice into. And is the spade well connected to each t-tap?
Good question. How would I find out if it is the Karr?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
The two Karr systems I have removed had a black main control unit. I believe that unit or one of its wiring harnesses was labeled Karr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts