Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background Story: We purchased a 2003 EX Pilot as my daughters first car. First thing she goes and does without my knowing is buy a double din bluetooth enabled nav screen Boss BV9351B from amazon. I should have made her return it for something that crutchfield says matches the car but hindsite is 20-20. So I've got the old stereo out and wired the new one to a 70-1721T Metra Stereo Wiring Harness. I plugged it in and it powered up and the speakers worked minus the subwoofer which will no longer be used.

My question is: How do I hook up these two signals (coming from the pilot and going to the stereo)?

Lights-on signal (red/blk A9 pin)
and
Dash Lights brightness controller (red A19 pin)

The only thing that looked remotely close going into the Boss stereo was the signal
Illumination input 12V+ (orange).

Attached are the two wiring interfaces.

Edit: I also installed a backup camera and front and back dash cams which appear to be working great.

Attachments

Registered
Looks like A9 to the orange illumination input on the deck, that way when you turn the headlights on the display will dim. There isn't a brightness input on the deck, you'd have to manually control that at the deck if it has that display option.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response. I was able to find some more info on the civic forum. To summarize what I read: Most stereo's have a 12V illumination input that is orange. The purpose of this input is to dim the stereo brightness when the running or head lights are on. The Metra 70-1721T (note that the T is important as it gives you all the wires passing through) also has the 12V illumination labeled as orange which comes from the red/black A9 pin. I connected these up and when I turn on the headlights the new Boss stereo nav screen dims.
The Dash Lights brightness controller (red A19 pin) has nothing to connect to on the new stereo even though the Metra wiring harness passed it through as an orange/white wire. It is very important that care is taken to make sure this wire is tied off. It is simply a variable voltage coming from the dimmer control on the left side of the cluster. If this touches anything it can short out the circuit board that controls your gauges.

For some reason when pulling out the original stereo I blew fuse A9 and fuse A10 in the passenger side kick panel. A9 is for the stereo power wire and A10 is the dash lights. It took me a while to figure this out (shouldn't have) but I've got everything working.

I spent a lot of time reading and pondering a solution to the subwoofer. I was looking for a small amp I could put inside the dash to drive it since the +/- wires were right there already. I decide it wasn't worth the expense and hassle to mess with it and I doubt my daughter will even notice.

Here are some good links if someone wants to read into this further.

And info on the dash lights fuse A10.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts