Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in an ambitious attempt to install the Honda OEM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer (P/N 08A06-3B1-300) into my 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES (VIN 2HKYF18663H516774) , I have found that it cannot be done without some serious modifications... :cursin: :3:

Here is my documented attempt (with photos) from yesterday afternoon for those who might be foolhardy enuff to try the same thing!!! ARGH!!! :bangh:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
¼" Gap Tooth Tiger

First, there is a ¼" gap that must be somehow filled when you place the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer in the Center Lower Cover (this is P/N 77312-S9V-A52ZA, which is the one from the EX-L NAV (it is longer than the one in the EX-L RES)) -- actually, it will be an eighth of an inch on either side, but this photo shows the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer placed completely to one side to show the effects of the gap on the left side:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIN Bezel Won't Work

Here's a close-up shot of the gap...

The DVD DIN Bezel Kit (P/N 08B23-S9V-100A) would cover the gap on the left and right sides (once the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer is positioned properly and centered), but it wouldn't work on the EX-L RES because there is no room on the top and bottom that the bezel would cover (i.e., height-wise, the changer fits perfectly).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a DIN Bezel?

Here is a drawing of what the DVD DIN Bezel Kit looks like -- like I said in my previous post, the bezel would cover the left/right gaps but it wouldn't fit in my install because I don't need the top/bottom "gap" that the bezel provides:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taken Apart

Here is my center console with the components removed in preparation for what I thought was going to be a smooth install. I am not going to post the step-by-step photos for taking this apart since this project was a complete failure -- I would've done a complete step-by-step installation thread if this had worked, though! :4: :17:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Middle Position 1

I thought about putting the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer in the middle (between the Climate Control Unit and the DVD Player Unit) but that idea was not feasible...

Those two units were designed to be mated together -- the Climate Control Unit has three dowels that are supposed to slide into three matching holes on the DVD Player Unit:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Middle Position 2

Here is the DVD Player Unit (looking at it from the top view) with the 3 opposing holes to mate up with the Climate Control Unit:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer does NOT have these three holes, so there's no way to place the changer underneath the Climate Control Unit without (somehow) breaking off the three dowels...

Like I said, these two components were meant to be together like husband and wife:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another reason why the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer cannot be the middle component and the DVD Player Unit being the bottom component is that the DVD has these "clip" things that are supposed to hook into the Center Lower Cover when installed -- the changer doesn't have this:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bottom Component

So, after putting the Climate Control Unit and the DVD Player Unit back together onto the metal bracket, the only other choice was to place the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer as the bottom component using the two holes on either side of the metal bracket:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holes Don't Line Up

As you can see from the previous photo, the darn holes on the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer don't line up with the holes on the metal bracket unless you break off those clip things from the DVD Player Unit...:ucrazy: :bsflag:

And I was all ready to snake the harness on the back of the 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer up behind the center vents and hook the connector to the radio head unit, too:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gave Up

I finally gave up on this project -- since it wasn't a simple plug and play, I didn't feel like doing a custom-install job...:headshak:

Finally put everything back together and tested it all out to make sure things still worked:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Gave Up

kemosabe said:
I finally gave up on this project -- since it wasn't a simple plug and play, I didn't feel like doing a custom-install job...:headshak:

Finally put everything back together and tested it all out to make sure things still worked:
kemosabe, that really bites. :mad: It's a shame that with all the research you did and questions you asked of other owners that these problems didn't crop up much earlier. In all the Honda documentation I've seen, that 1/4 inch gap never shows up, and the bracket hole mis-alignment - well, who'd have forseen that! :(

I know from my XM experience the work involved in pulling that stuff apart and doing photos at the same time. Thanks for taking the time, and sharing the result.

On a positive note, has anyone ever told you that you could have a future in commercial advertising, as a "hand model." :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is that really a Brittney Spears cd in the console????

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
whitepilot said:
Is that really a Brittney Spears cd in the console????
wheres madonna... :22: :22:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Gave Up

kemosabe said:

So sorry this didn't work :mad: We were hoping it would work so we could install the indash cd player in our Pilot. I guess we'll revert to plan B .. the stand alone under the passenger seat 6 disk cd player.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wheres madonna... :22: :22:
ramirami: Right now, in the CD Player jamming to "Papa Don't Preach"... :yodaddy:
Originally posted by mca3851 So sorry this didn't work :mad: We were hoping it would work so we could install the indash cd player in our Pilot. I guess we'll revert to plan B .. the stand alone under the passenger seat 6 disk cd player.
mca3851: I may have to go with your Plan B, too... :4: :17:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but it seems to me that putting a cd changer in is like buying a vcr. Why when you can put 10 zillion albums on an ipod or what ever juke box and manage your music for car(s) home, gym, woods, beach whatever wherever. No discs, no install (except the blitz), pointnplay. imho

ciao
mooz
exlss

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kemo and others that want to put in a CD changer, why have you selected that over a hard drive based MP3 player like an IPOD or Nomad Jukebox?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts