Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 EX that I unfortunately totaled when I hit a deer. It needs a hood, grille, fender, and door (among other items). The damage is not too severe, but too costly to repair at a body shop. I bought it back from the insurance company to repair myself, since it has relatively low miles (under 165K) and a mint interior.

While searching for matching body parts at local salvage yards, I came across a 2005 Pilot with a bad engine. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but the seller claims it is in great shape with a clean title for only $800. So instead of fixing the body damage on my 2003, I could swap my good engine into the 2005 (no emission worries where I live). However, my research leads me to think this may not be possible, due to engine upgrades that may have begun in 2005.

I'm finding conflicting information on when the engine changes actually occurred (2005 or 2006). Can someone confirm my following thoughts?

1. If both vehicles have a throttle cable, then the engines should be a direct swap, correct?
2. If the newer engine is drive-by-wire, then the engines are not compatible, is that correct?

Thank you for your assistance!

Casey

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
There were many changes to the engine/transmission between 2003 and 2005. Starting with the fact that 2003 wasn't drive by wire but 2005 was drive by wire. That's just the tip of the incompatibility between the two drivetrains. Gear boxes different.... throttle pedal different. ECUs different....intakes different.....it just keeps going....

Sorry but a non starter....

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Just get the 05 and get a dang crate engine for the same year Your still coming out ahead of the game if the engine is the ONLY thing is bad about it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies! I looked at the 05, but it was much more rough than I wanted. Our 03, except for the front end damage, is much, much nicer. Back to the search for matching body repair parts.

Oh, and the 05 was drive by wire, for what it's worth.

Casey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts