Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the video, he just pops off the top cover, cleans the passages and re-installs that cover.

He made no mention of cleaning any passage from the EGR valve to that top part though.

Last time I did this, it was on some 3.2 on a 97 Acura CL and of course the whole damn upper intake had to come off. So it seems too good to be true that some silly plate is all that has to come off.

Also, the gasket for that, could one get away with reusing it or do those thing typically get destroyed when removing that cover? Or maybe they are hard and brittle after so long?

My 03 does have a couple EGR codes BUT the engine runs perfect and we are not in an emissions county. So I am wondering if I should even mess with it. You know whenever something is taken apart, there is a chance of something else breaking in the process.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Good point. The way I see it, I've 4 options:
  1. Clean EGR valve.
  2. Replace EGR valve (less expensive than I would have guessed). 2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 EGR Valve | RockAuto
  3. The SeaFoam Solution.
  4. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
If and when I do decide to clean my EGR ports and passages, standing by if I need it I've already got the gasket I nabbed a while ago from one of those periodic Rockauto wholesaler closeout deals for pennies on the dollar (beat you to it again, @Nail Grease :p). Even a fraction of the price of a can of SeaFoam. :)

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Good point. The way I see it, I've 4 options:
  1. Clean EGR valve.
  2. Replace EGR valve (less expensive than I would have guessed). 2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 EGR Valve | RockAuto
  3. The SeaFoam Solution.
  4. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
If and when I do decide to clean my EGR ports and passages, standing by if I need it I've already got the gasket I nabbed a while ago from one of those periodic Rockauto wholesaler closeout deals for pennies on the dollar (beat you to it again, @Nail Grease :p). Even a fraction of the price of a can of SeaFoam. :)
Forget the SeaFoam.
Just add a quart of this product to your fuel tank and you'll see a similar result.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I removed the top of my 05, sprayed and wiped carb cleaner every nook and cranny and cleaned it up. After 200k it was very clean imho, something I attribute to the fact that it drove distances all the time. Last stop on the engine was to clean the actual ports out. The top itself went into a homer bucket for a wash and wipe down. One fresh gasket later it was all back together.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Forget the SeaFoam.
Just add a quart of this product to your fuel tank and you'll see a similar result.

Ya know someone's gonna try it. Your esteemed opinion is powerful on this forum.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
When doing this cleaning, a person could plan on knocking out several things. I'd purchase a valve cover gasket set that includes grommets and spark plug tube seals and an intake manifold gasket set that includes the plenum and throttle body gasket. Remove and clean the throttle body inside and out. Be careful not to get any cleaning solvent in the throttle control. You'd be surprised how much oily dirt has built up around the butterfly valve. This will require a throttle reset of the ECU. With the plenum removed, you can access the valve covers and stop those oil leaks. Valve adjustment, injector replacement, replace any small cooling lines and vaccum lines if needed. On these older Pilots, I'd chunk that old EGR valve in the garbage and put in a new one. While the EGR valve is off, it's a great time to replace those cam thrust cover gaskets. All made easily accessible with the plenum off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts