Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the fluid out in my trans and added a cooler, but for the life of me, could not locate the filter housing. I looked up videos online, but my transmission did not look like any of the others in the videos did, even with the battery tray removed. I have a lot more fluid lines, brackets, and just General atuff all on top. I couldn’t see the fill hole or the 10mm bolt plate that holds the filter in with the 17mm center bolt. Possibly I was looking at 2wd instructions? Or my transmission is different somehow?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
See item #8 in the drawing below.
Replacing the transmission filter is not on the recommended maintenance schedule.
Someone that did change it suggested removing the battery and battery box/tray in order to access the filter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a 2003 and have replaced the ATF filter. The parts diagram is accurate. In order to replace the filter, you will need to remove the battery and the battery box. My 2003 has the oil jet mod to the transmission fill plug. I just leave it in place, and use a small funnel to refill through the transmission dipstick tube.

·
Registered
445 Posts
BTW, there are no 2WD Pilots in 2003. They were all 4WD back then. The diagram posted above is quite good. Looks exactly like my 2003, including the oil jet mod. I purchase the ATF filters on Amazon, under $18.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
for the 06 it's also under 18 bucks and that's OEM. Hondapartsdirect

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have the filter I’ve already change the fluid and I’ve already taken the battery tray off to look. I still could not locate anything that looks like a diagram I’m not sure how I would access it regardless being how much it is covered by other stuff it’s really strange

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Can you take a photo of your tranny?
Perhaps your tranny is not the original and was replaced with one which has an internal filter (on the 2005 there is a way to access the internal filter).

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
This is the location for the 2006 EXL tranny... in the 06 you need to access it under the battery tray #2 is the filter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It’s like Honda played musical chairs with the filter location. 2003-04 external unit, 2005 internal filter located 4” forward and 4” to right of tranny fill bolt (I just looked since I needed to check the fluids), and what you mentioned for 2006 which based on the diagram appears inaccessible with the tranny mounted to the engine. I wonder why all the different locations.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It’s like Honda played musical chairs with the filter location. 2003-04 external unit, 2005 internal filter located 4” forward and 4” to right of tranny fill bolt (I just looked since I needed to check the fluids), and what you mentioned for 2006 which based on the diagram appears inaccessible with the tranny mounted to the engine. I wonder why all the different locations.
Its not ..i have swapped out the bugger simply by taking half the engine bay apart starting with the battery tray. it sits on top .. bolts are really tight ...:wink:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What was your reason for changing the filter? I haven’t changed mine yet. It’s about to hit 100k miles. Tranny has been drained and filled on 15k mile intervals.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What was your reason for changing the filter? I haven’t changed mine yet. It’s about to hit 100k miles. Tranny has been drained and filled on 15k mile intervals.
I'm coming up to 205 k with original parts , so I figured why not ..it was black as hell when i swapped it...the filter is redish pink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts