Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following post (which no longer accepts replies) describes essentially the exact same symptoms my 2003 EX Pilot began exhibiting for the first time today.
Pilot EX-L Factory Alarm false alarms
Unfortunately, the person who made that post never posted a fix and hasn't been here for about seven years.
Has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, what was the cause and resolution?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
OK, first, why are we still getting this nonsense on older thread, Admin?
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Now on to the problem at hand. I should start with a disclaimer that I have no firsthand experience of this problem, so take my musings for what they're worth.

Is your problem also pretty much just when it rains?

Do you have a scanner that can read Honda-specific codes? (Not to gloat, but my Foxwell NT-630 just arrived today. I haven't even unboxed it yet. OK, I'm gloating just a little.:))

Have you examined the wiring that goes into your doors (and eventually to your locks) for fraying or corrosion?

It might not be easy, but also check your door open indicator switches. I'm trying to remember if they're in the door post.

If it's concurrent with when it rains, it is possible there's a little rust around your windshield seal where water might enter?

Have you also, as the other guy did, tried disconnecting your hood sensor or your liftgate sensor?

Maybe some of those things can help you get started on your investigations.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your problem also pretty much just when it rains?
Do you have a scanner that can read Honda-specific codes?
Have you examined the wiring that goes into your doors (and eventually to your locks) for fraying or corrosion?
It might not be easy, but also check your door open indicator switches. I'm trying to remember if they're in the door post.
If it's concurrent with when it rains, it is possible there's a little rust around your windshield seal where water might enter?
Have you also, as the other guy did, tried disconnecting your hood sensor or your liftgate sensor?
This is the first time it's happened and it's been damp and rainy for the past two days.
It first happened as it was getting dark, today, so I've yet to do any troubleshooting.
I left it unlocked so it won't start screaming in the middle of the night.
No Honda-specific code scanner on hand.
Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, as well, so any investigation will likely have to wait until Saturday.

In the meantime, I though I'd inquire if anyone else has encountered the same issue and solved it, since that would help expedite matters.

I did have something similar happen with an Acura many years ago.
Apparently, moisture would get into the connectors for the door switches and cause the alarm to go off.
The solution - for which there was a service bulletin - was to remove the switches, disconnect the wiring connectors, clean the contacts and pack them with dielectric grease before reassembly.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Apparently, moisture would get into the connectors for the door switches and cause the alarm to go off.
The solution - for which there was a service bulletin - was to remove the switches, disconnect the wiring connectors, clean the contacts and pack them with dielectric grease before reassembly.
Certainly sounds plausible. You know I'm a big believer in dielectric grease. :)

Now for a short term solution, if only someone tried, even if it took 40 attempts, to come up with some sort of Water Displacement formula, preferably in an easy-to-use spray can... :)

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Hope you don't live in a city. If you forget to reconnect it before you go out in traffic it's like playing goalie in hockey without a facemask. You're going to get pummeled.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope you don't live in a city. If you forget to reconnect it before you go out in traffic it's like playing goalie in hockey without a facemask. You're going to get pummeled.
Mostly use the horn to wake up the stoplight texters.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Mostly use the horn to wake up the stoplight texters.
"doth protest too much, methinks"
(William Shakespeare, Hamlet)

I found this meme on the internet, honest. What color is your 2003 again? :p

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
I can not remember the last time I have used a horn on my vehicles. I should test to see if they even work anymore.
And as we all know I played netminder with no mask, not as scary as you think, as I said before stiches are a badge of honour, lol.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Short term solution is to remove the horn relay.
If you do not lock the van would this still happen.
Edit. I read that you left it unlocked to not have the issue, next time I will read with my eyes open.
Could you just leave it unlocked, or is that an issue for you.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
This is the first time it's happened and it's been damp and rainy for the past two days.
It first happened as it was getting dark, today, so I've yet to do any troubleshooting
Any chance it may be a real intrusion warning? Piss anyone off lately or on a forum :D? Old GF or kids goofing off or someone interested in Pilot parts? Just tossing this out there as it’s your first occurrence.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you do not lock the van would this still happen.
Edit. I read that you left it unlocked to not have the issue, next time I will read with my eyes open.
Could you just leave it unlocked, or is that an issue for you.
I could leave it unlocked at home, but I'd rather be able to lock it when I leave it in a parking lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts