Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Is the VCM disabled?
That's #1 in my book.
As far as everything else, if only random stuff has been done to keep it going, I'm doing a full sweep of anything that is old or may fail. If you do not DIY, no get rid of it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
It's almost always cheaper to keep a vehicle, than trade/sell it on a newer one.
I've got nearly that on my 08 SE 2WD Pilot. Now at 192K+. There are many with much more miles on similar year Pilots too.
I'm not trading/selling my 08 anytime soon.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
It's almost always cheaper to keep a vehicle, than trade/sell it on a newer one.
I've got nearly that on my 08 SE 2WD Pilot. Now at 192K+. There are many with much more miles on similar year Pilots too.
I'm not trading/selling my 08 anytime soon.
Sure, but if your paying someone to work on your vehicle as things break, it can quickly become an...

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
Personally I’d keep driving it until something major fails. That’s when you’d need to perform a financial analysis to determine if fixing it or trading it makes more sense. As mentioned above if you DIY it’s easier to justify keeping it since taking it to the mechanic gets expensive fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Personally I’d keep driving it until something major fails. That’s when you’d need to perform a financial analysis to determine if fixing it or trading it makes more sense. As mentioned above if you DIY it’s easier to justify keeping it since taking it to the mechanic gets expensive fairly quickly.
But if it's old, when something major goes- trade in in nill anyways. Catch 22?
I tend to keep cars, trucks, SUV's a long time.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Whatever the case may be, drive it until the wheels fall off.
I'd definitely be inclined to drive it until the wheels fall off. But used SUVs are selling at a premium right now. If I were not going to sweep through the vehicle DIY with about $500-$1000 worth of parts and several days labor, I'm selling it now. Reliability becomes a real issue, and replacing 1 part at a time, paying $150 to diagnose a single problem, will soon cause blood pressure to rise and an empty bank account. May as well get on the payment plan.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
For me, since the Pilot is not our only vehicle we have, its lots easier to keep. The Pilot left me stranded last year about 100 miles away from home with a bad temp sensor. Too many of those and this thing is going to be replaced. If it was my other halfs car and that happened to her, this thing would already be a distant memory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts